Friday, October 26, 2007

Edwards on Holiness

Holiness is the nature of the Spirit of God, therefore He is called in Scripture the Holy Ghost. Holines, which is as it were the beauty and sweetness of the divine nature, is as much the proper nature of the Holy Spirit as heat is the nature of fire, or as sweetness was the nature of that holy anointing oil which the principal type of the Holy Ghost in the Mosaic dispensation... The Spirit of God so dwells in the heats of the saints that He there, as a seed or spring of life, exerts and communicates Himself, in this His sweet and divine nature, making the soul a partaker of God's beauty and Christ's joy, so that the saint has truly fellowship with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ, in this having the communion or participation of the Holy Ghost. The grace which is in the hearts of the saints is of the same nature with the divine holiness, as much as it is possible for that holiness to be which is infinitely less in degree; as the brigfhtness that is in a diamond which the sun shines upon is of the same nature with the brightness of the sun, but only that it is as nothing to it in
degree... The Religious Affections, p. 129



Wonderful stuff. I wonder what an Orthodox view of divinization might be like in comparison? Notice, however, that the holiness is beautiful and sweet - and not sweetness and beauty which is holy. He is not an aesthete. The holiness of the Christian is truly divine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...but he's the original American "em church" leader - surely he has to be into RO in some form!
;o)

Anonymous said...

I couldn't resist...this is my topic!

I wish soo very much that more evangelical Christians would really really think about this...the implications for holy Christian living and how it touches EVERYTHING...need to be different and disticnt and imitate christ...you get my drift, this is a comment after all.

The orthodox 'theosis' at least from the Fathers is very much like this in expression... (why I am personally comparing Maximus Conf with Jonathan Edwards!)

I just couldn't resist...I had looked on your blog for a while.
Hope all your studies are going well....