Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Calvin and Hermeneutics

I have been invited to contribute an essay to a proposed collection on Calvin for his 500th birthday next year.

The suggestion was to write something on Calvin and Hermeneutics. But of course, there already exist some general overview articles on this subject, and even a book-length study by TF Torrance. So, an angle is needed.

Furthermore, I would rather not write a piece of merely antiquarian interest. It seems to me that if we have nothing to learn from Calvin's hermeneutical theory and practice, then the piece isn't really worth writing.

So: what do you think my angle should be?

I could:

  • take a key text and see how Calvin handles it in his commentaries and his institutes, as an examplar of his method;
  • write about his polemic against allegory, and against Origen in particular (preferring Chyrsostom);
  • compare and contrast Calvin with a near contemporary - Bucer perhaps?
  • or see how Calvin's hermeneutic was received by Anglicans (if it was);
  • I would love to see how Calvin's interpretational method was embodied in the Geneva Bible, an English Bible translated by English exiles living and working alongside Calvin in Geneva while Mary was Queen;
  • or, an essay entitled 'the Postmodern Calvin?' Calvin and Derrida, perhaps??! Calvin and Ricouer? (Someone has already tried this, admittedly)
  • It would be cool to see how someone like, say, John Milton or some other more literary figure learnt from Calvin, if he did.
Any other ideas?

14 comments:

Abu Daoud said...

I would be curious to learn about Calvin's ontology of the church. And how does he use the word church in his Institutes? As a visible congregation, a group of congregations, a visible and catholic entity, an invisible and catholic entity?

David said...

Michael,

I've just finished my thesis here in Abdn on this topic!

Two suggestions:

1) If you want to explore the last of your possible angles, what about Calvin's influence on Barth? This is there in GD in the election material and particularly in Barth's theology of Calvin where he writes explicitly about what he gained from Calvin's reading of Romans? I don't think we can understand Barth as a reader of biblical texts without Calvin. Perhaps this sort of thing is ground already well covered.

2) More interestingly, I think, is the way that the Institutes itself actually IS a hermeneutic - this much is clear from the Preface (which appears in 1539 and stays put through to 1559) as here Calvin states that the whole point of the Inst. is to guide the reading of Scripture. It's a telling of the biblical narrative which is meant to guide others in both their reading of the narrative and also their reading of Calvin's commentaries. I think scholarship has so far focussed on extracting Calvin's hermeneutical 'principles' or 'tools' FROM the Institutes, without focussing on how for Calvin the Inst. itself IS his tool. My thesis explores how the Institutes functions as the hermeneutic for his election exegesis, and so I obviously think there's mileage in this under-developed approach.

Best

David

michael jensen said...

Well, thank you both.

David - those are two interesting possible trains, though it sounds as if you have already done the Institutes as hermeneutic thing in your thesis, yes?

I had thought of Barth, but again, assumed that this was a well-worn path...

David said...

Yes, I have ... but all that just to say I think it's massively underdone in the literature and I was just focussed on election so there's scope for more exploration in other areas. Some of Stephen Edmondson's recent work, would open this up for you. See his 'Calvin's Christology' (CUP, 2004), as well as his ‘Christ and History: Hermeneutical Convergence in Calvin and its Challenge to Biblical Theology’, Modern Theology 21.1 (2005), 3-35;
and ‘The biblical historical structure of Calvin’s Institutes’, SJT 59.1 (2006), 1-13. Serene Jones on the rhetorical function of the prefaces might also help: Calvin and the Rhetoric of Piety (Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 1995)

I looked at Calvin and Barth in the thesis and there actually isn't loads written on Calvin's influence on Barth as a reader of texts ... it tends to be at the level of theology. Richard Burnett's book on the hermeneutical principles of the Romerbrief period has a useful (brief) section on Calvin which might prompt further thought.

Look forward to your piece whatever you go for!

Best

David

Anonymous said...

2 thoughts come to mind both inspired by your blog:

1. Calvin on martydom
2. Calvin as bible commentator - probably old ground - but you've complained a few times about commentaries, biblical studies which is independent of systematics and the like. In Calvin you have a preacher/theologian/missionary/pastor/author/reformation man - how does that affect him as commentator and where can our commentaries improve. Am I also right in thinking Calvin largely gives us commentaries in their modern form?

Shane said...

Michael

I thought Calvin and Martyrdom was the obvious choice

but I wondered whether something specific like

Calvin and his Hermeneutic applied to the Law in Matt 5:17-20

a tasty quote
"With respect to doctrine, we must not imagine that the coming of Christ has freed us from the authority of the law: for it is the eternal rule of a devout and holy life, and must, therefore, be as unchangeable, as the justice of God, which it embraced, is constant and uniform. With respect to ceremonies, there is some appearance of a change having taken place; but it was only the use of them that was abolished, for their meaning was more fully confirmed. The coming of Christ has taken nothing away even from ceremonies, but, on the contrary, confirms them by exhibiting the truth of shadows: for, when we see their full effect, we acknowledge that they are not vain or useless. Let us therefore learn to maintain inviolable this sacred tie between the law and the Gospel, which many improperly attempt to break. For it contributes not a little to confirm the authority of the Gospel, when we learn, that it is nothing else than a fulfillment of the law; so that both, with one consent, declare God to be their Author."

there you are - and a cool title -
" The Truth of Shadows"

Gordon Cheng said...

an essay entitled 'the Postmodern Calvin?' Calvin and Derrida, perhaps??! Calvin and Ricouer?

"Good Lord, deliver us."

The Geneva Bible one sounds like it could be really useful. I would read it for sure.

Drew said...

As someone doing Derrida for his PhD I happen to think that the best way to write about Derrida is to learn from him... and then not write 'on' him.

No offence intended Gordon, but to avoid precisely those reactions.

Steve Carlisle said...

Hi there

I believe that we here at church have a book which belongs to you, it has a message inside which is from your father, how can we get it back to you?

michael jensen said...

I am dying to know what the book is, Steve! And how it got to Cranebrook!

The best thing is either to give it to someone who is going into Moore College, and get them to leave it at the office, or to send it to Bishopscourt (if you can).

Anthony Douglas said...

I speak as one who is gratefully not studying for a PhD at the moment...

Here's what I know about Calvin: he was big on commentaries; he had a nicely developed view of revelation; and he saw an important relationship between what might be called systematic theology and exegesis.

On that basis, I'm wondering whether there's any value in looking at Calvin's view of the relationship between systematic theology and what we might call biblical theology, how that plays out in his commentary work, and...how much his fans have listened to him on this score.

I rather suspect that's a PhD topic in itself. But hey, it's an idea, I'd be interested in it, so thought I'd share.

Steve Carlisle said...

gary o brien had it actually. i have moved to be with him at west pymble since the start of 08. its amazing how things and people get around.

ill endevour to get it to you as soon as i can. for the record it is a signed copy of at the heart of the universe!

thanks for your blog, it is helpful, and very, very sharp! thanks mate!

michael jensen said...

wow - thanks! So, the message inside was directed to me personally....?

Anonymous said...

Michael,

How 'bout something on Calvin and idolatry? Too little has been written on this, and it offers opportunity to approach from countless angles.

Just a thought ...

Jason