Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Theory of Education

Help me -

I need to compile a must-read reading list in the theory and philosophy of education. It ought to include classics as well as state-of-the-art works. And I am not interested in the tin-tacks of teaching: I need to get over education as a philosophy.

Any ideas?

18 comments:

gbroughto said...

This suggestion should catapult me to the top of the "too cool for school" class:

Freire, Paulo
Pedagogy of the Oppressed

and yes, I've actually read it (and recommend it)

Anonymous said...

What about Tom Brown's Schooldays?

Ben Myers said...

Obviously Dewey.

Tim V-B said...

I know that Doug Wilson and those folks from the Association of Classical & Christian Schools think a lot about education. Maybe they've got some resources, and not simply Sayers The Lost Tools of Learning. Look at http://www.accsedu.org/Recommended%20Readings.ihtml?id=435131 and you'll find modern and ancient books that are recommended.

lukeisham said...

Teaching the teachers how to think is important.

Socratic Logic by Peter Kreeft

Matt O'Reilly said...

Repairing the Ruins edited by Douglas Wilson

The Case for Classical Christian Education by Douglas Wilson

Michael Canaris said...

While I'll attempt to verify this later, it seems at first blush that several of Gregory the Great's admonitions in his Regulae Pastoralis were applied to educational settings.

Anonymous said...

Wow - lots of people are recommending books by that heretic Wilson...

"The Paideia of God" is another of his titles on education.

Milton's "Of Education" is worth a read, and I would recommend the Sayers' article "The Lost Tools of Learning", as well as Doug Wilson's other books.

Alison Brewis said...

Van Til and Berkhof have an join work, edited by Dennis Johnson. P&R Publications.

Anonymous said...

Plato's Republic

Michael Canaris said...

On second cursory glance, the Liber Pastoralis Regulae appear passim to treat of pastoral authority as primarily epistemic in nature, albeit with some judicial overtones of a sort which could easily be expanded later by the likes of Gratian.

fional said...

Oh gosh, you've got to read Noel Pearson's Quarterly Essay recently published. Here he reviews and critiques educational philosophy and approach and draws a range of implications for Aboriginal education and also more broadly. It's rich, insightful, visionary stuff, as I've come to expect from the man.

Michael Canaris said...

A problem I've been having in compiling a reading-list for this matter along the lines requested is that most treatments thereof I've seen written before c. 1880 seem inextricably caught-up with the nature of those matters deemed fitting to be taught.

Andrew Gleeson said...

Michael,

Since no one else has suggseted them, the following are vital:

Michael Oakeshott on Education (I think that's the title)

and

Simone Weil's 'Essay on School Studies'

I may have those titles slightly off, but a bit of digging should bring then to light.

Craig Schwarze said...

"The Abolition of Man" CS Lewis

Anthony Douglas said...

Late to the party, but I thought David H. Kelsey, Between Athens and Berlin: the Theological Education Debate (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1993), from the college library, worth a look - sets up a spectrum of two different approaches. Plus it's in the college library, and easy to reach.

Term Papers said...

This is a fantastic presentation which captures what theory of education is all about...

Term papers

Term Papers said...

Thanks for pulling this together and sharing!


Term papers