Friday, October 21, 2005

"Jesus the exemplar": what could that mean?

[This may be long and rambling but I would appreciate your comments: one of my supervisors has asked me to "open myself to the kiss of imagination"(!) and write something "wild" in order to hone in on my thesis topic.]

Well, then, what role has/does/should Jesus of Nazareth in moral theology?

"Jesus plays a normative role in Christians’ moral reflection."

"Jesus lived a particular life that has universal meaning; the analogical imagination recognizes how to be faithful to Jesus in ever new situations."
William C. Spohn Jesus and Ethics p.2; p. 186


It is scarcely disputable that Jesus plays “a normative role” in the moral reflection of Christians.
What is in dispute is what that normativity consists of. I like Sphon's observation, that Jesus lived a particular human life - located in space and time quite precisely, and not repeatable, unique in many ways, but that it has a "universal meaning". Jesus' human particularity must be upheld: he is not the instance of a type, or the first of many Christs. You cannot paint an African Christ, or a female Christ, or a Western, blond Christ (more to the point) without doing real violence to true meaning of Christ. He was "like us in every way", but precisely in being himself: he couldn't have been just any of us for exactly that reason.

This means that Jesus' life is made available to us as a pattern of life but only in a way that is conditioned by this particularity and uniqueness. However, I would want to strength the "analogical imagination" idea and say that Jesus is still present, but in a way universally present. He has overcome that particularity by being pneumatologically present in the members of the body and by incorporating them into himself, so that they are at home with him, his brothers and sisters under the Fatherhood of the Father.

Karl Rahner writes:
The imitation of Christ does not consist in the observance of certain moral maxims which may be perfectly exemplified in Jesus, but which have an intrinsic value in themselves independently of him…[but] in a true entering into his life and in him entering into the inner life of the God that has been given to us.

The great Roman Catholic theologian gets it right here: following in the way of Jesus Christ is not a matter of pursuing the values that Jesus represented or embodied, though it is often presented as such. Discipleship of Christ is not merely a matter of resembling him in actions but of "participation" in his life: living with him. "Entering into his life", as Rahner puts it.

The resurrection is a key here because an exemplar can be dead, a mere memory we invoke. But Christ - according to the fundamental Christian testimony - is not dead: he is risen. The resurrection explodes the regular use of Christ as a pattern, because in seeing him resurrected by his Father in the Spirit we know that we can never without external aid follow him in this. We could conceivably even suffer a more a tragic death than Christ's, on behalf of others even: but the resurrection is his and his only to share with us by faith.

Interestingly, the New Testament has a role for a mediated pattern of the way of Christ, in that the apostles and saints were to be afterChrists - I think this Stanley Hauerwas' term.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

G'day Michael, I want to shout YES YES YES.

I don't think we talk enough about the resurrection. We do rightly talk a lot about his death,and the cross; however that is only part of the gospel story and not the whole story.

It is through the resurrection we recieve the Holy Spirit, it's through the resurrection of Christ we have joy, hope, anticipation of a life to come, it's through the resurrection that we have access to the throneroom of grace in prayer, with Christ sitting at the right hand of God constantly mediating for us.

Though I have always believed in the resurrection, it hasn't been something I have concentrated on devotionally untill the beginning of this year, and it makes ones heart sing, ...well it does mine anyway..

As the author of Hebrews says, he is the firstborn to be raised to life - I think it's Hebrews?.....meaning we have an act to follow and for us as believers we have that resurrection power living in us today and that means morally we can face and overcome any problem that comes our way in God who strengthens us to live as afterchrist people of God.

Sorry about the ramble

craig bennett

Craig Schwarze said...

Phew...will try and digest and come up with something. Don't hold your breath for anything profound...

I'll put a link on my web site. Perhaps one of my readers will have something to contribute. A few of them have studied philosophers...

Anonymous said...

Keep that kiss (!?!) going.

I have always hated (maybe that's too strong a word) the constant reference by Christians to biblical principles, or values with regards to ethics. Perhaps it is not wrong to do so in certain contexts, but you are then tempted to ask, why not follow Confucious ethics if that's all it is. We have dudded ourselves of God's riches.

I wonder Michael...participation in Christ's resurrection life...united with Christ...'walking in the Spirit'...

michael jensen said...

what do you wonder?


i gotta say I agree with you I think: "biblical values" is a kind of emaciated way to think of the bible isn't it?

Theteak said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
michael jensen said...

um... and you are?

Theteak said...

Um, just put le on the end of my name.

michael jensen said...

oh, right! Back in Aust?

Theteak said...

Yes, and working with the needy at St Andrews and looking forward to the challenge! But I have to finish college - new attitude, new outlook, less fear of greek...

michael jensen said...

well: that's an amazing task. I would love to hear more, if you want to email... my moore college address is still functional. I have some experience of the needy at ST A's myself...
Which congregation are you attending?

Theteak said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

What do I wonder in 100 words or less?

Stream of consciousness: If we are to be conform to His image, and if He, in His humanity is the perfect image of God, and being the image of God is doing our Father's will, being perfect as He is perfect, being human participants of the divine action to sum up all things in Christ, then my only hope is to be reconciled to the Father through Him and being empowered by His Spirit to do His will. Walking in the Spirit. Resurrection life. United with Him by faith through the Spirit.

I don't know if I am theologically correct, I know I am bereft of words to express this.

One thing that I always think of when I consider Jesus as perfect human is Luke's portrayal of Him as filled with the Spirit, joy. And his portrayal of Jesus as a man of prayer. Prayer has something to do with it too...Jesus as intercessor, mediator; our prayer whereby we discern our Father's will, think God's thoughts after Him.

Apologies if that is garbled Michael. Your cryptic comment about Gethsemane got me thinking. Not my will but yours...Kingdom of God...