Saturday, January 21, 2006

Patriotism

can a Christian be patriotic?

I am a proud Aussie: however, my recent study has given my cause to rethink this nationalistic pride.

Is nationalism and patriotism really something that the followers of Jesus have any truck with?
Isn't patriotism one of the uglier things we see around?

Example: why should you buy Australian or British given that the citizens of other countries are my neighbours also?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

G'day Michael

Yet as Christians are me not commanded to work and to look after our family as well?

I don't think in Australia we have such a huge nationlistic way of thinking, look at all the asian goods we buy, which in a lot of cases is a lot better quality then what we can make here for the price.

We might banter about which car is best, Ford or Holden, yet in the gargage have a little hyundi or Kia etc run around.

Blessings craig b

/Karen/ said...

Hi Michael,

Got a Hippocampus Extensions request to make of you regarding a talk you did for Joy Division on 1 Cor 11 which I have been told was excellent.

Could you please email me at karen [at] hippocampusextensions [dot] com so I can elaborate further?

Many thanks!

Rory Shiner said...

Hi Michael,
I'm not keen on nationalism, but perhaps there is some scope for some sort of 'ethic' pride that is acceptable and even appropriate. I am thinking of the way in the Apocalypse the nations are said to bring their glory into the new Jerusalem. (Rev 21:24-26) I suppose when they do, they are proud of it in some way?

Rory Shiner said...

(Of course, the word I was looking for was 'ethnic' rather than 'ethic'. Maybe in the New Jerusalem we'll be proud of our ethics too? Though I think I'll be over the moon just to be there.)