Monday, September 29, 2008

Christ 'for me'

I am starting with Yr 2 Doctrine Moore Theological College tomorrow on a part of the course entitled 'The Person and Work of Christ'. I thought I'd get a famous piece of Bonhoeffer into circulation - this from his 1933 Christology lectures. You have to remember the political circumstances, of course:


"Christ is Christ not as Christ in himself, but in his relation to me. His being Christ is his being 'pro me'. This being 'pro me' is in turn not meant to be understood as an effect which emanates from him, or as an accident; it is meant to be understood as the essence, as the being of the person himself. This personal nucleus itself is the 'pro me'. That Christ is 'pro me' is not an historical or an ontical statement, but an ontological one. That is, Christ can never be thoughtof in his being in himself, but only in his relationshop to me. That in turn menas that Christ can only be conceived of existentially, viz. in the community... It is not only useless to meditate on a Christ in himself, but even godless."

So: Christ cannot besomething or someone remote from us or he is not Christ... The very nature of Christ's mission (check Peter's declaration of Jesus' title) is for others in a suffering way.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike,
is something missing in that last paragraph?
Michael

michael jensen said...

Got it - will edit.

Patrick Conley said...

Huzzah! Let's hear it for Christ in the community!
(Later in same lecture: "[Christ's] form, indeed his only form, is the community between the ascension and the second coming.")

Thanks for posting this, Michael...I'm going to use it in a talk this Friday.

Mark said...

That is, Christ can never bethought of in his being in himself, but only in his relationshop to me.

How about in relationship to his Father? That is his being! And that is the primary way the Bible describes Jesus: as the Son, the Sent one, the Word of God etc.

michael jensen said...

Sent TO WHOM? FOR WHOM? the Word of God TO WHOM?

Mark said...

Maybe I've missed the point :) I'd want to say though that Jesus' mission for us derives intrinsically from his mission for the Father.

BTW - I hope your MTC lectures go well today. I appreciated them personally the last time you gave them.

Also - since you're back in Oz, it might be time to change your blog header!

michael jensen said...

Thanks Mark...

I think you are right; but I don't think Dietrich would disagree...

byron smith said...

I'm with Mark - Jesus is first for the Father and only secondarily (graciously) for us. Very important to not make ourselves necessary for God.

The Pook said...

Seems to me Bonhoeffer is echoing both Calvin and Kierkegaard!