John Webster's essay on aseity is one of the highlights of the Engaging the Doctrine of God collection. This caught my eye:
‘…it [aseity] indicates that God’s originality and fullness constitute the ground of his self-communication. He is one who, out of nothing other than his own self-sufficiency, brings creatures into being, sustains and reconciles them, and brings them perfection in fellowship with himself’. (p. 108)
That is, God's self-sufficient and self-determining nature is of the kind that is the basis for his great acts of creation and redemption - his determination to have others and to dwell with them. No introvert, this God.
3 comments:
Introversion is not the opposite of "hav[ing] others and ... dwell[ing] with them," as you imply. I'm not saying God is an introvert or extrovert (I think God is all in all, and beyond those categories), just that you're basing this headline on an odd concept of what introvert means.
It was just a conceit - I think you are taking me a little more seriously than I tended!
Hooray I always thought I was closer to God than those loosers!
;)
...hmmm maybe not!
http://www.aboutlife.com/vicarchic/brief_thought_on_introverts_and_the_trinity
Post a Comment