Friday, September 05, 2008

Driscoll's three questions

‘What do people want to have more than anything else?’
‘What are people most afraid of?’
‘What do people make sacrifices for?’

Great questions to ask...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Driscoll said he (& Keller) took those questions from David Powson (?) who has written about idenifying the idols of our culture. I tried googling Powson but no luck. Does anyone know who MD was talking about?
Other questions he asked to help find the idols:
What are people most passionate about?
Where do they run for comfort?
What do they most complain about?
What makes them happiest?
How do people identify themselves when you meet them?
What makes you angry with God? (the eg he gave was 'I will worship God if he makes me rich/married...so mammon/marriage is the real God and Jesus is the means to that end)
What do people brag about?
Whose approval do you seek?
MD's take on Sydney was that our idol is comfort - we want it more than anything else and there is no sense of a greater good beyond what makes me comfortable

Anonymous said...

If I'm not mistaken it is David Powlison. You'll be able to find him now.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the tip Jason

Anonymous said...

thanks for the tip Jason

Justin said...

Mark took the questions from this book, I believe: Seeing New Eyes, by David Powlinson.

Its been a year since I (quickly) read it, but I think that there is a whole chapter with Drsicoll's diagnostic questions and many more like them.

If someone else can confirm this before anyone goes and buys it, that might be good.

Justin said...

I just looked it up. The questions are in Part 2, Chapter 7: X-Ray Questions.

There you go...

Justin "Your research assistant" Moffatt.

mark said...

Yes, the David Powlison book, Seeing Through New Eyes is excellent - I'd thoroughly recommend it! A very penetrating examination on the heart and human idolatry. He's a reformed author who loves the Bible and uses the scriptures to poke and prod us and help us understand our functional idols in life. The chapter on X-ray questions is excellent! Definitely have a read of it!