Every now and again I catch myself using the language of 'biblical data'. That is, I suggest that some or other conclusion can be drawn 'from the biblical data'.
I think this language, while not strictly speaking wrong, is badly misleading. And I hereby resolve not to use it!
How come? Well, 'data' is a word that comes to us from the world of scientific empiricism. It implies a set of raw, uncollated information that lies dormant until the scientist can put into some sort of order and therefore draw conclusions. Or, 'data' is a list of entries of unfiltered informationinto a computer programme which then has operations performed on it to turn it into something meaningful.
The Scriptures are not in this sense 'data'; nor is the theologian in the position of the scientist or the computer. There two particularly important reasons (at least) why this is the case:
a) the Scriptures are writings which already have a large degree of interpretational activity going on within them. The writers of the Bible are not presenting to us 'just the facts': they are unafraid to admit that this is their 'spin' on things.
b) the language of 'data' prevents us from seeing the sequential, historical nature of the Scriptures. Each piece of scriptural 'data' is not of equivalent standing to the next. It has its place in the testimony of the scriptures to the God of Abraham who is also the God of Jesus Christ.
3 comments:
Its more than a language issue, isn't it? We show something of our heart by using the term.
But it may be just another way of saying: "The text of Scripture doesn't support your conclusion."
A: "God is not a God is Wrath".
B: "I'm sorry, the data does not support your conclusion. You are not going to find support in the text of Scripture for your comment".
Granted, there is more to say about wrath and God, but at the very least, you are saying that loads of texts -- i.e. the data -- goes against the statement: "God is not a God is Wrath".
Or to think about it another way:
A: "Hamlet is a confident, decisive young man who knows exactly what to do in the face of tragedy and injustice."
B. "I'm sorry, sir, the data does not support your conclusion."
Hmmm. It doesn't really work, does it?
Yeah. I'm with you, MPJ.
I repent.
Correction:
A: "God is not a God of Wrath".
Amen!
Post a Comment