I need a list of the top theological libraries / research centres in the world. This does NOT refer to the building but to the collection and resources and facilities for research.
I would appreciate it if, just off the top of your head, you would list what you understand to be the best 10 in the world. No need to try and put them in order of importance, just a list. You do not need to try and justify the selection as all I need now is a list of possibilities.
I replied (in no particular order):
Oxford
Cambridge
Princeton
Aberdeen
Tubingen
Vatican
Yale
Duke
Durham
Edinburgh
King’s College, London
What would you say? My ignorance of the European scene is quite profound of course...
4 comments:
One Roman University Library which I gather has particular renown across the spectrum is the Gregorianum.
I can't believe you left out:
[1] Moore Theological College, Sydney
[2] Trinity Theological College, Perth
:-)
According to the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise in the UK, Aberdeen RS & Divinity Dept has been ranked first in Scotland and second in the UK (behind Durham, I think?). Full details are here: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/divinity/RAEannouncement.shtml
I can testify to the quality of the staff and the postgraduate seminars, but the library is not brilliant. Princeton, Oxford, Cambridge would be immensely superior (I have never ever seen anything like Princeton's theological library - sensational) but my experience isn't very broad.
I think your list looks pretty good. I would throw these in for consideration:
1. Notre Dame
2. University of Chicago (mainly for liberal/liberation theology)
and an honorable mention to
3. Luther Seminary, St. Paul, MN--the library is excellent!
(see http://www.luthersem.edu/library/information.asp?m=-2792)
P
Post a Comment