Theology is a subject that requires reading – not just of lecture notes or text books but reading of stimulating and challenging theological works.
Every evangelical theological student (that means you!) MUST read J.I. Packer’s seminal article ‘What did the Cross Achieve – The Logic of Penal Substitution’. You can find it online at http://www.the-highway.com/cross_Packer.html and in other places too. The article is gold not only for what Packer says about the cross, but for what he says about theological method.
Closely followed in this are two great evangelical works - The Cross of Christ by John Stott, and The Death of Christ by James Denney. Pierced for our Transgressions, the recent book by Ovey, Jeffers and Sach, is worth a read, though it has its limitations (very minimal reference to the gospels, for example). For a better defence of penal substitution, Steven Holmes’ The Wondrous Cross is the benchmark in my view. There is also Paul Molnar’s book Incarnation and Resurrection - I haven’t read it, but it looks good! :-)
Of the classic works on the work of Christ in the Christian tradition, Athanasius’ On the Incarnation of the Word, written when he was 21, is the standout. Anselm’s Why God Became Man? is the pinnacle of medieval theological thinking about the work of Christ. Calvin’s treatment in Book II of the Institutes is the first real exposition of penal substitution in the tradition. In the 17th century, John Owen’s The Death of Death is the supreme example of a Protestant account. B.B. Warfield’s book The Person and Work of Christ shouldn’t be overlooked. In the 20th century, Jurgen Moltmann’s The Crucified God and Wolfhart Pannenberg’s Jesus: God and Man are the two most sophisticated works from a German point of view and they do not overlook contemporary difficulties brought about by historical and ethical thinking since the Enlightenment. For a Roman Catholic account, Hans Urs von Balthasar’s Mysterium Paschale is good value. Colin Gunton’s The Actuality of Atonement is a very stimulating, if not entirely satisfying book. On the reformed end of things, John Murray’s Redemption Accomplished and Applied will get your pulses racing.
Don’t be shy about dipping into great works of systematic theology – all of which will have to say something about the cross. Use the indexes! Check out Francis Turretin, Charles Hodge and Herman Bavinck, for examples of classic reformed accounts. You ought to purchase one of these as a resource for your ministry. Karl Barth’s Church Dogmatics IV.1 can’t be ignored though – even if you only dip in and get your toes wet.
Lastly, I think everyone should read John Howard Yoder’s The Politics of Jesus. Usually it comes up under ‘Ethics’ – but it is a very challenging exploration of the significance for today of the Biblical Jesus in social, political and spiritual terms.
8 comments:
Thanks for the recommendations, Anselm didn't much of a look in at Ridley.
Yes! Thanks for the recommendations! Death of Christ by Denney has been sitting on my bookshelf for the last 5 or so years. So now, (when I get a chance), I'll have to read it - especially now that I can understand the greek written in the book.
Good post Michael. Surprised but delighted to see Yoder getting a recommendation! It's an excellent piece, not least in the fresh way it looks at issues. It's a whole different kind of reading to what (I suspect?) many of your readers will be familiar and even comfortable with.
2 comments if I may...
1. Is this seriously a list for one term's study? This is why young folk at my church are going elsewhere for their theological education. As a former student at MTC who mannaged to do well I have to say that it's an unrealistic expectation, and only serves to deepen the theological workaholism which is enshrined in our diocese and its main educational institution.
2. Holmes' book falls far short of a great defense of penal substitution. His main thessis is that we run with PSA while it maintains a cultural relevance. He does not defend it as a timeless doctrine, and limits its usefulness by embedding it culturally. By backing this book I think you're promoting a weak theological method.
I enjoyed our chat the other day, BTW, we should do lunch.
MK
Marty, wrong and wrong.
1. This is a suggested reading list from which a student is free to cherry pick on the basis of interest and ability. I hope you aren't encouraging your young folks to an inferior theological education. The only compulsory item on the list is the Packer essay.
2. Holmes does not do what you say. I think it is undeniable that PSA has a culturally determined features - that doesn't make it right or wrong (other factors do that). Theological truths are only timeless in their timeboundedness anyhow.
Talk soon.
1. Ok point taken, but if Barth "can't be ignored" and "everyone must read" Yoder, you can see why some my feel a pressure that will send them over the edge. But I am now alarmed at your "inferior" comment. How are the other colleges inferior? This could look like arrogance (not a great selling point among gen Y), or a sympotom of market-generated agression which could look out of place.
2. Well, here we'll disagree. Holmes conclusion on the matter was dissapoiting. He did a good job in some areas, like looking at the background of sacrifice in the OT, but in the end allowed PSA to be too easily placed aside. His defence of it having a place in talk of the atonement was based on its continued cultural relevance, not on its faithfulness to Scripture, which, I assume, is something that can make it 'right [or] wrong'.
I think you are reading a different book to me...
Admittedly I gave out this piece as a handout and explained what I was expecting from the students - ie, they ought to read Packer and go exploring for themselves.
Comparisons between colleges are odious. But the comparing is being done from the other direction ALL THE TIME. In fact, a good deal of misinformation is being put about -and we have been on the whole hesitant to reply in kind. Of course, you are assuming that anyone in Gen Y reads my blog!
I was narky earlier today. Too narky. I apologise both to you and MTC. You guys are doing your best, and you're doing it well.
For what it's worth, I do suggest MTC to the folk here, but not in an exclusive way, and with some consideration of what I think might fit the person best.
See you around...
Post a Comment