Monday, November 29, 2010

Wowsers

Evangelical Anglicans arrived with the First Fleet in 1788 and they’ve been asked to stand between savagery and civilisation ever since. The first chaplain, Richard Johnson, could not take it for very long and returned home in some despondence. The second chaplain, Samuel Marsden, was oftentimes more magistrate than minister. Sydney’s Anglicans have subsequently shared in the building of a mighty city in what appeared to all as a godforsaken corner of the world only good for exiles and aborigines. They have felt themselves caught between their commission to preach the gospel of God’s free grace to sinners and the need to decry the licentiousness, greed and corruption upon which the new nation was being founded.

It has never been easy to peddle religion in this town. We should not overestimate the extent to which even nineteenth century Sydney was ever a ‘Christian’ society. There has always been a vigorously secular streak in the harbour city – exemplified by the jaunty articles in the colonial magazines Bulletin and Truth. ‘Wowser’ is a term of contempt and derision invented in Sydney to describe those who would seek to impose their morality on everyone else; and it illustrates the kind of reaction against institutional Christianity that some Sydney-siders have considered as an identifying mark. Journalist Mike Carlton’s satires of Sydney Anglicans sit in the tradition of scallywag stone-throwers against the perceived stained-glass pomposity of the city’s church leaders.

Since the 1960s the tide of secularism has turned even more decisively against the churches. Speaking from the vantage point of 2010, the triumph of secularism is almost complete and is, in human terms, almost completely assured. Though Australia is by and large conservative and cautious, it is true that an argument from apparent fairness will always convince them; and that they react badly to ecclesiastical intrusion into public affairs. Middle-aged Sydney siders, born in the mid-60s and early 70s, are by now a group of people who never even had the chance to walk away from church, since they were not taken to Sunday School and Youth Group by their parents. They are ignorant of the Bible and of Christian traditions and don’t particularly want that state of affairs to change.

The Sydney Anglican story could read then as a story of decline and retreat in the face of two centuries of barely-concealed hostility. While there has been remarkable work done in the last thirty years or so, it could be interpreted as merely a rear-guard action, a staving off for a generation of a collapse that must surely come. Compared to Anglicans elsewhere of course this halting of decline looks like roaring success. The average age of attendees in some Anglican dioceses is well over 70 years old. Never mind that: in real terms, the relative health of Sydney diocese could be read as really just a more muted failure.

Yet the vigour of the opposition has made Sydney Anglicans battle-hardened. They are toughened by bad news. They are used to ridicule. They are not shocked by invective against them. Insult them all you like: it makes little difference. You could also point to a resourcefulness of spirit and a stubborn determination to bear the gospel come what may. There is an edge to the Sydney diocese that has not yet been blunted by the relentless pressure to go quietly into what from a secularist point of view would be a sweet and silent oblivion.

It would however be a mistake to consider this gingery determination from a merely human angle. If it is a virtue, it is so only because it stems from a faith in the rule of all things by the God who raised Jesus Christ from the dead. This must not be interpreted, by opponents or by Sydney Anglicans themselves, as a kind of divine vindication of Sydney Anglicans for their faithfulness and their commitment to doctrinal purity. On the contrary: the Anglican Church in Sydney may completely collapse and empty and be in a century’s time a quirk of history, as defunct as the Bulletin and Truth. Faith in the sovereignty of God is faith that he will continue his work, not faith in the eternal security of Sydney Anglicanism.

This foundational theological belief in the sovereign rule of God in the risen Jesus Christ can be the basis for an attitude of confidence without lapsing into an ugly triumphalism or a defensive paranoia. The sovereignty of God is the basis not for a martyr complex, but for true martyrdom – which is witnessing to Jesus Christ come what may. A persecution complex is essentially self-interested and even narcissistic. A life lived for Jesus Christ, on the other hand, risks itself entirely for the good of the other without regard for self – knowing that it entrusts itself to the God who raised Jesus from the dead.

That then is the challenge for Sydney’s evangelical Anglicans: do they put their trust in the sovereign Lord, the God of the risen Christ? The circumstances of life in 21st century Sydney are uncertain for those who would seek to preach Christ. The rise of the New Atheists has given unbelievers are more confident and at times strident voice. The possibility of a public sphere that more strictly polices itself against the intrusion of the religious is imminent. There is less and less native traction for the Christian message amongst those who have a churched upbringing of some kind. There is the outright fear expressed towards the religious way of being because of its association with violence and prudery.

But from the perspective of Christian faith, these difficulties are quite trivial. The job of the fellowship of churches that make up the diocese of Sydney is not to defend their own establishment or privilege. Their call, alongside other Christians, is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, the crucified and risen saviour and entrust themselves to providence...

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael... I enjoyed reading your post.
In regards to the preaching of the Gospel; can it be truly said one is preaching the Gospel if it is not being preached in a way that connects with the society in which it is preaching?

Take an experience I had with seeing and hearing some Closed Brethren on a street corner. What they said was true; their message was correct and they went home thinking they had truly preached the Gospel... though they never connected with anyone...

Anonymous said...

“A life lived for Jesus Christ, on the other hand, risks itself entirely for the good of the other without regard for self …”

These are fine sentiments Michael, but hard to square with the socially and materially indulgent lifestyles of most Sydney Anglicans - particularly its management.

Perhaps if you were seen to be taking risks proportionate to your proclaimed faith it might appear more credible.

Regards
Brian

michael jensen said...

What do you know that I don't, Brian?

Anonymous said...

Michael,
I know that I don’t see those Sydney Anglicans who say they live a life for Jesus Christ ‘risk their lives entirely for the good of the other without regard for self’. Please correct me if this is a misperception.
Brian

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael,
Great post, thanks.
"A persecution complex is essentially self-interested and even narcissistic."
This is an interesting truth which I think you have capture accurately. Living and serving in the former communist block I see the continuing results of decades of communist persecution. The faithfuls' testimony of a faithful God is something that should never be forgotten. However, inappropriate reflection on such pasts can tend towards self-interest, which I think is evident. The Bulgarian church needs to not only keep their persecuted history in perspective but begin to take on the current secular culture that is consuming Bulgaria at a great rate of pace. God was faithful and he still is faithful. So let us not be distracted by the past from engaging in gospel proclamation in the present.
Blessings

michael jensen said...

@Brian - really? Without being idealist about it, I know too well from first hand the extraordinary price that some SA people pay to testify to Christ. Interesting perception that you have.

Anonymous said...

You only know of ‘some’ who have paid an extraordinary price, Michael? Surely extraordinary sacrifices should be the norm among SA’s given your view of what a life lived for Jesus involves - risking itself entirely for the good of others, etc?

Hence my original point: people don’t see SA’s (or the vast majority) living lives consistent with the claims of their faith.
Brian

michael jensen said...

Let me upgrade 'some' to 'many', and as a norm, too.

I don't want to hide flaws, but I don't want unfair mischaracterisations to go unchallenged either.

Craig Schwarze said...

‘risk their lives entirely for the good of the other without regard for self’

What does that look like in your own life, Brian?

michael jensen said...

Yes, I was going to ask that... Brian? What does your example look like?

Anonymous said...

Craig and Michael,
My life is nothing like that; but then I don’t claim to live a life for Jesus. I presume you both do though, so I’d be interested to hear about how you live your lives in complete selflessness consistent with 'living a life for Jesus'.
Cheers
Brian

michael jensen said...

I don't. I am inconsistent.

Craig Schwarze said...

so I’d be interested to hear about how you live your lives in complete selflessness consistent with 'living a life for Jesus'.

I fear I'm a very imperfect model of Christ. It is only God's generosity that allows me to be part of the club - nothing that I bring of my own worth.

Unknown said...

@craigbenno1

I know you may be only repeating what you have been told, but how you have described the situation of the person who spoke at your church seriously misrepresents that suburb and the Anglican ministry taking place.
I will contact you via your blog if you would like to clarify things.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that clarification David. I looked at your website and retract the statement I made about that ministry.

In saying what I did I was trying to be careful not to name names or suburbs.

I have sent you an email about clarifying what was said and how it was said etc.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that clarification David. I looked at your website and retract the statement I made about that ministry.

In saying what I did I was trying to be careful not to name names or suburbs.

I have sent you an email about clarifying what was said and how it was said etc.