“Yes: we are all individuals.” (The Life of Brian)
Imitation of others is not merely a matter of choosing some deeds over others but is basic to the formation of the self. Though the idea that our identities are a composite of those we know is not one that contemporary culture enjoys, it is really not a matter of choosing whether we will imitate someone, but who it is we will imitate. Sociologist George Herbert Mead wrote “the individual develops a self by first becoming an object to himself and he does this by adopting the ‘attitudes’ of the individual members of the group to which he belongs”.The moral self is constructed from the impress of other selves: usually consisting of a conglomeration of parental and societal influences. In the contemporary world of course celebrity and fame have assumed an exalted position in imitation: the exalted figures are, ironically, paradigms of individual freedom and hedonistic excess.
5 comments:
I think in western culture we have developed too strong an individual craving.
I can remmember as a youngster, when my mother would meet up with an old friend and the remark would be, I look so much like you .....
I wanted to shout, I look like meeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Now that I am a dad I want my boys to be like me....and so does my wife want them to be like her...actually we want them to be more like Jesus in their actions.
I wonder what Mead thinks of the subject of sin, for that is a major part within us that shapes us to be who we are,and the powers of satan egging us on and as Christians it is the Holy Spirit who helps us to develop and change our moral ethics...
So I think he is right about us being shaped by who we hang around, or belong tocraig b.
I wanna be jus like you, I wanna be just the same...
I can't get that tune out of my head now!
We are prideful, we want to be noticed, to stand out in the crowd.
Society says to imitate another is to lose self. To lose self is to lose control, or what we think is control. And we don't like that.
Just one of the reasons we struggle in imitating Christ.
"I want to be like Mike..."
???
You've won me over. Quoting from Life of Brian is a sure way of getting critical kudos...
There's not I in Team... hang on... there is a me though
Post a Comment