Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Doctrine: a rationale?

Why do we need to do doctrine? What does it add, except for confusion?
In my personal experience Doctrine, or Theology, as a subject has had rather a bad rap in evangelical circles. Few people at college put it as their favourite subject (though I could be wrong); and the majority of time we spend in study is usually allocated to Biblical Studies; we rarely preach on doctrinal issues. There is an understandable reluctance to move what seems to be one step away from the clear text of the Bible itself.
Why is this the case? I have three suggestions:

§ The problem of systems
We may rightly be wary of letting a constructed theological system or tradition override the text. We have all seen Biblical texts squeezed out of shape in order to make them fit a theological presupposition. Roman Catholic dogmas about Mary’s perpetual virginity are one example we may cite, where the most likely meaning of the gospels is that Jesus had brothers; yet the Roman Catholic system, with a prior commitment to Mary’s perpetual virginity will not allow this reading. [I, for one, think that Limited Atonement is exactly this kind of teaching.]

§ the plain meaning of the text
Theology might be seen as a way of subduing or domesticating the text of Scripture - of putting it in its place under or alongside a more important source of doctrine, such as Reason, Tradition or Experience. Or it may be that one text, or theological idea is allowed to condition all the others. In current church debates about women’s ministry for example, the principle of gospel equality is held to override texts that ascribe different roles.

§ A commitment to an empirical method
Further, there is rightly enough a commitment to the epistemological empiricism of our Anglo-Saxon heritage. Simply put, we tend to see that the answer to any theological question can be found by listing the biblical data, perhaps leavened with some historical background. On the other hand, without explicit Biblical data, we become suspicious that we are engaging in speculation.
Personally, I think that Biblical scholars have been part of the problem here, with the greatest of respect. They drag their heels when it comes to theology - from both the conservative and the liberal end. [What are you doing, guys and girls?] We need to release the bible from its captivity to biblical scholars, actually...

so: why we should "do" doctrine:

i. because we all have a “theology” whether we like it or not - so better an informed and reflective one than not.
There is no reading of the Bible that does not already rest on theological assumptions. Doctrine enables us to test these assumptions honestly. It is frankly dishonest to claim that we can do without theological reflection. “Just reading the Bible” is a myth!

ii. because it is an evangelical necessity: the ancient gospel is being preached in new situations and so requires fresh and faithful re-articulation in every generation.
In particular, the demands of our time are enormous and require responsible and creative work.

iii. because it helps to inoculate the church against false teaching.
Doctrine is our “defence against the dark arts.” After all, the Jehovah’s Witnesses claim the principle of “Scripture alone”. We need an understanding of doctrine in order to tell what is truly Christian.

iv. because it is a pastoral necessity
Doctrine enables us to address the teaching of scripture about the reality of God to the questions, the trials and the sins of our flock (and of course to our own lives).

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

G'day Michael,

Also doctrine is sort of what seperates various denominations as to what camp they belong to ....so to speak.

This of its self does not have to be bad. For instance look at the differences within churches about baptism, children / adults etc, and it helps the individual in making the choice of what church they want to attend and fellowship with.

I think the danger of Doctrine though is when it fails to be no longer doctrine, rather it becomes Dogma. Take creationism for example, Dogma is that God created, then the Doctrine is young earth, or old earth theology.

I myself like doctrine and examining it, as long as those discussing it realise that is what we are doing and it doesn't fall into the trap of being dogmatic and thats where and why most offence is caused.

there has been an interesting discussion on the Anglican Media forum about bible study where the answers are given from what is expected or from last weeks sermon and I think there can be a real danger in not having people think for themselves in this regard - and the danger is that the Evangelical church could fall back into a quasi RC scenario where the people rely on the minister to do their thinking for them. Which I think you alluded to in saying come on guys think for yourself.

Blessings craig b

Craig Schwarze said...

Hear hear Michael. I agree we have much to learn from the study of doctrine - especially via historical theological writings.

There are very few genuinely new questions - the same issues keep coming up again and again. A good first step is to be aware of what Christians down through the ages have taught.

CS Lewis wrote a wonderful essay on why we should read "old books" - read it here.

Anonymous said...

Can't go to the bank in my lunch break -- too much beautiful monsoonal rain! I can comment instead.

Being geographically out of the scene, one notices things -- Moore College graduates who talk about the 'Bible College'that they went to rather than the 'theological college' or 'seminary'.

But I have found myself wondering lately (mostly in response to reading various blogs/discussion lists -- looking forward a teensy bit to doing it in person sometime)what motivates the drive for extreme doctrinal precision, when often the Biblical text about a certain point seems less than precise. Could there be factors at play other than just the love of truth?

Really, you should see the rain here! Pity that it's leaking through the wardrobe in the vestry next to my office; the carpet's saturated; should I try and move those coloured shield-shaped garments hanging there -- what were they called again? -- so they don't get wet too?

Greg

michael jensen said...

Well I DO try to correct MTC students about this. They are not at Bible college. The bible is only the means to an end...

Likewise, I have said that calling something a "Bible Church" or "Bible Fellowship" is a really unhelpful practice that should cease!!

Anonymous said...

G'day Michael,

I have never thought about college the way you present it here. I wonder if we should in churches drop the term "Bible study group" as well, and just say we are a fellowship group studying the bible?


Blessings craig b

Drew said...

hmm... the bible study question is interesting.

but to not answer it and talk about another point: I liked Michael's points i & ii especially - i, our reading of the bible has an inherent doctrine of scripture which needs to be interrogated along with other doctrines, and ii, without the extrapolation of doctrine, we couldn't actually apply scripture to any given situation - living life as a Christian involves 'doctrinal work' whether we acknowledge it or not.

At least, so it goes to my way of thinking.

michael jensen said...

Wow, Paul, my head is spinning. There's a lot to think about there... I think the difference between theology/doctrine and the other sciences is that theology begins with revelation and its corollory, faith, and seeks understanding and articulation from there. It tries to give expression to the revelation of God in Christ. In that sense it is theory: subject to rethinking in other words.
The issue of Anglican church order is another thing. You are right of course, that we have an inherited and imperfect church polity which we have to 'fit' with New Testament principles. I think everyone knows that the NT isn't talking about what we call 'ordination'...

Sean said...

you must read Vanhoozer's The Drama of Doctrine to fully appreciate its necessity, as the author notes: The stereotype of doctrine as dry and dusty cuts a flimsy caricature next to the real thing, which is brave and bracing. Doctrine deals with energies and events that are as real and powerful as anything known in chemistry or physics, energies and events that can turn the world we know upside down.
Kevin J Vanhoozer, The Drama of Doctrine, p. xiii

At least, that's my $0.02. Thanks for the thoughts...

michael jensen said...

Hey ta: Yes I am reaidng this book at the moment. I think it is terrific in that what he does is actually counter the idealist tendency in evangelicalism - ie that we formulate doctrines as if we do so in isolation from actual practices of living together - but he doesn't follow the opposite failing which is to drain Christianity of ANY cognitive content at all.
It is an irritating book in othe regards: the motif of drama is wearing and a little forced after a while; KV states rather than proves things or argues them; and his method of quotation drives me nutso. These were problems in "is there a meaning in this text" too...
Still, what a great way to surmount that sticky bog evangelicals have got themselves into with teh doctrine of scripture. It shows why inerrancy for example is irrelevant... at least the way we talk about it is. Inerrancy should be PRACTICED, if anything!

Anonymous said...

G'day Michael,

Could you expand a little on your comments re - Inerrancy.

Thanks craig

/Karen/ said...

When I was at college (all right, it was only just last year), Doctrine was my favourite subject. A couple of people also told me that Doctrine was their favourite subject. But then I only did it at first year level and maybe in the upper years it gets worse ...?

michael jensen said...

Well, I am glad to hear it karen - and to see you are still reading. love to hear how your work is going. Also: any chance of you returning for second/third year?

Inerrancy is a particular beef of mine and I may post more fully on it sometime.

However, my main problem with it as a doctrine is that it denies the humanity of the text of scripture and traps into believing fictions about it. It is a Koranic doctrine, not a Christian one. It puts the doctrine of Scripture in an epistemological position, whereas it should be under a soteriological heading.
It is actually a meaningless doctrine for Christians: however, I think that I practice inerrancy in that I read the biblical text as authoritative.

Anonymous said...

G'day Michael,

I would enjoy reading your thoughts and discussing this issue more with you when you have time.

In my understanding of your stance I am thinking your thoughts go a bit like this, and sorry if I am wrong.

We live it because we are in a real dynamic relationship with God through Christ, our relationship with him is not through the scriptures, it is with him,day by day, empowered by the Holy Spirit, through the real work of Christ,which happened in an historical moment. When we read the scriptures we are not really dialogging with God, we are more so gaining understanding of what God has done for us, yet God is working through the Holy Spirit in a real way outside of the Scriptures, as he is not the scriptures, while being careful to acknowledge he is certainly doing so through the scriptures as well.

Blessings craig b

Anonymous said...

Re Vanhoozer's 'Drama of Doctrine': yah, had similar thoughts re his style and (bits of) his method, while cheering his aims (integration of 'theory' and 'pratice'; turning sola Sciptura into a practice, not a doctrine).

So if we get rid of 'Bible' churches, should we have 'Doctrine' churches? :-)

A fifth reason for doctrine: it is traditional. See how Irenaeus responds to the Gnostics, or Athanasius to the I'm-just-reading-the-Bible Arians.

And to throw in another old chestnut: why not 'theology' rather than 'doctrine'? Does the latter focus on the method (teaching) and hence implicitly highlight the context (church), while the former focuses on the focus (God) and the mode (words)?

PS doctrine, esp in upper years, is my fav at MTC too. Or it least, it should be when taught well. Otherwise, it is my fav reading subject...