Thursday, July 26, 2007

A bustle in our hedgerow...

Yesterday we noticed a hedgehog behaving very strangely in our garden: he was running around and around in circles.

It took as a while to decide what to do, but to cut a long story short, Simon and I decided to put the hedgehog in a cardboard box and ring around for help. When we picked him up, he curled up tight into a trembling ball: it was pathetic and cute all at once.

The British being the British, of course the have a whole Hedgehog protection society with designated carers for each county. We rang the lady in Oxfordshire, but she wasn't in. Finally the man from Berkshire advised us to get him to the vet, because he was probably suffering from parasites. So we drove him off to Woodstock 5 miles away to the all night vet. There, we discovered that he had ticks, and fleas, and also had a damaged eye and some blood on his fur. The vet promised to give him some anesthetic and some antibiotics and give him a warm place to stay.

When we got home, the phone rang. The lady from our region had rung back. 'I am always home' she said 'except this evening'. She asked after our hedgehog. Then: 'I have had some bad news myself tonight: I have a secondary cancer in my spine. The doctors give me 18 months with radiotheraphy.' 'Do you have anyone to call?' I asked. 'No, no family, no-one', she said. She looks after hedgehogs.

Please pray for E.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you stay in touch with E. or can help her hook up with people who will look out for her.

If you speak to her again,let her know a stranger on the other side of the world has prayed for her tonight.

js

Sarah Onderdonk said...

this is heartbreaking

Anonymous said...

Yes...did you mention to her that you are a minister!??

No I am not being funny!!

In my 2nd year at college I was an Assistant Chaplain at Westmead Hospital (My student job) and I had lots of opportunities with people in this situation, just because they are in this situation.

I don't mean that you should be the one to visit and talk to her, but just bring up that you are a minister and if they would like someone from the church to visit them may be something huge God can use.

I had lots of opportunities as I had a badge simply with 'Assistant Anglican Chaplain" written on it, and the opportunities weren't just with patients but with the staff as well.

You know when people are really sick, or see sickness they think of God.

Please just ask her, if you already haven't!

Anonymous said...

I am praying!

This wasn't an accident you know- the hedgehog thing, or by chance! neither was your blogging on it,

God is sovereign!

Please please do ask her if you haven't already!