Friday, July 27, 2007

Notes on Humility V


Of course, Nietzsche hated the humility of Christianity and derided it as servile, base, low and disgusting. Oh, and womanly. It was ignoble, and not worthy of the great-souled individual.

1 Peter specifically addresses wives and slaves and asks that they be humbly submissive. That much perhaps we may have expected - isn't this cringing debasement precisely what is most natural to women and slaves (to channel N for a minute? But it also enjoins all citizens to submit to the emperor; and young men to submit to elders in the church.

How Nietzschean is contemporary culture? Well certainly I think it has adopted a belief that only through the spirited action of the great souled individual will humanity ever be truly free. Perhaps we are more democratised than he would have been. But still, the desire to soar, to be great, and glorious: is this not Nietzchean?

As he writes in Beyond Good and Evil: 'The noble soul has reverence for itself'. I don't think he means a cringing vanity here, nor even that bizarre self-reflexivity you encounter when sportspeople refer to themselves in the third person: rather, the noble soul is in thrall to its own destiny to the point of religious fervour. This is more worshipful a reverence...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael,

Wanted to say that your foray into 1 Peter has been great. Love the bit on Nietzsche. Looking forward to how you end this.

LF

Christopher said...

I agree with linden. Humility is tough to carry out.

I have been reading some stuff on individual autonomy in bioethics, it is interesting that even at times of complete vulnerability and dependence we want our autonomy and independence guaranteed. We want to be in control when we plead for help.

Hossein Jelveh said...

Dear Christopher,
Can you give me the reference to the stuff you said you've been reading? I'm interested in the topic. I'd be grateful.
Here is my weblog address:
http://www.hosseinjelveh.blogspot.com/
Thanks a million.