From my RTR article 'Left Behind? Christian Eschatology and Society in the Age of Terror' vol 63, 2004.
...We take issue with the eschatologies of pre- and post-millennialists, Moltmann and the liberation theologians. Amillennialism seems a more biblically satisfactory position, although it has a tendency to over-spiritualise the Kingdom’s presence and to embrace a smug ecclesiastical imperialism.[1] However, the re-emergence of the apocalyptic in twentieth century theology, in the tradition of Luther, has restored balance to the biblical horizon. Apocalyptic literature of both Testaments focuses on the sovereignty of God over the cosmos and history, his vindication of his people (involving resurrection) in righteous judgment and his “supernatural” and dramatic intervention in history to bring these things to pass. There is a radical discontinuity between the present, which features a great struggle between good and evil, and the apocalyptic future. The apocalyptic literature of the New Testament picks up the universalism of other passages which speak of the cosmic scope of God’s redemptive act in Christ (1 Cor 15:22, Col 1:19-20, Phil 2:9-11, I Tim 2:4-6), and at the same time paints a clearly separationist picture which rightly reflects the Biblical vision of God’s eternal justice. A decisive irruption into history is indeed necessary for the fulfillment of the times. Even historicist (and Hegelian) Wolfhart Pannenberg admits:
Nothing less than a new heaven and a new earth (Rev 21:1; cf 20:11 and Isa 65:17) is demanded as a prerequisite for the definitive actualizing of the kingdom of God.[2]
[1] Bloesch, op.cit., p.197
[2] Pannenberg, Systematic Theology, op.cit., p.584
3 comments:
Michael - this whole emphasis on 'the kingdom of God' now in the present age is confusing me a lot - maybe you can help me.
I'm trying to understand the relationship between the gospel and the kingdom of God and then secondly between the church and the kingdom of God.
How broad should our usage of the term 'gospel' be? Does it include the movement of Creation-Fall-New Creation or is it only about the atonement?
I know thats a lot of questions but any help would be great.
Whose emphasis on the KoG do you have in mind? It is true that KoG language has become code for whatever social program or agenda(left or right wing) that you want to attach to the Christian proclamation. However, I do think that the gospel is the royal proclamation of the establishment of God's rule in Christ, especially in his death and resurrection. The atonement is the means to this. Here in the UK, I do find that evangelicals have made the atonement the whole gospel, and especially PSA reading of the atonement (and, I woud say, a particular and peculiar version of PSA at that!). So, I like broad I guess.
The church and the kingdom of God? well it seems to me more work needs to be done here by protestant evangelicals - or at least, by me. Perhaps you could clarify this side of your question?
Thanks for the speedy reply. I've been listening to a lot of Tim Keller recently and he speaks of the gospel in two ways: the Creation-Fall-New Creation movement which includes the restoration of all things (ala Col 1:20). Then he also speaks about it in terms of trusting in Christ so as not to face God's wrath - kind of the personal salvation angle.
I suppose my question is: Is the restoration of all things the gospel or is that to broad?
With regards to the church relationship I was thinking of that Michael Horton article that I posted a while back. What we believe about the relationship between the church and the KoG will influence the place of things like mercy ministries and really what the purpose of the church is - is it proclamation and discipleship or is it more?
Sorry the questions are quite general. If you can refer me to literature it would be great - although I'd also value what insight you have on the issue. Thanks.
Post a Comment