Saturday, December 01, 2007

Of the use of literature in theological work

In my doctoral work I have made a use of TS Eliot's play Murder in the Cathedral as a framing device and a stimulus to theological and scriptural reflection.

This strategy could be objected to on the grounds that:
  • Eliot was at best an amateur theologian (he himself used this term)- and, in fact, had some heterodox tendencies (for example, the influence of Eastern non-Christian mysticism is evident even in his later work).
  • His purpose was aesthetic rather than theological - this isn't serious theology
  • in fact, there is a long Christian tradition of suspicion of drama

To which I reply:

  • the tradition of Christian theological reflection includes quite a number of literary/aesthetic works, and should not exclude them. In fact, exclusion of them would greatly impoverish the tradition of Christian thought.
  • a number of significant contemporary philosophers are using literary narratives and plays in their work. Martha Nussbaum and Richard Rorty are but two examples. Narratives necessarily embedd discussion of human life in relationships with others and in time - ie, they enable a complex discussion of the human situation.
  • what is more, serious theologians - Hauerwas for example, and Rowan Williams and Paul Fiddes and David Ford - are using literary works in precisely this way. They do so not merely in a 'literature and theology' mode, but to enrich their discussion of theological concepts - ie in 'serious' theology.
  • imaginative works have always had an influence on Christian theological thought and it is just a kind of academic snobbery to exclude them, or to question their place in the debate.
  • in fact, narratives of imaginative power have a capacity to do what abstract theological work cannot. They are perhaps more suited to the business at hand - because they deal with humans in the midst of life, under the eye of providence etc.
  • And, the obvious point: the Bible is more 'literary' than it is 'philosophical'!

5 comments:

Sam Charles Norton said...

Or: logos is beholden to mythos. You can't get beyond narrative.

Martin Kemp said...

Would you say that literary works (excluding Bible) have an authoritative role in formulating theological thought? I actually think they might in that they set some of the cultural parameters in which we operate. Perhaps agenda setting might be a better way to put it.

michael jensen said...

Yes, I hear people saying that, Sam, but is it really true?
The question of authority is fascinating, Marty K... hmm. Cultural parameters, yes. .

Nance said...

David Bentley Hart could be added to your list of serious theologians who take this route, among others.
Murder in the Cathedral, as well as I can remember, is a fine place to do that sort of work too. I thought that was a terribly fascinating play, and the only work of Eliot's thus-far-encountered that I've been able to comprehend.

Sam Charles Norton said...

Well... the pre-eminent efforts to get away from narrative seem to have failed (ie been shown to be incoherent) and I'm not aware of any alternative contenders. But it's perfectly possible that I'm simply ignorant.