I am delighted to have been invited to speak at St Helen's in London for a lunchtime service on Anzac Day.
I guess it's our equivalent of Remembrance Day, though it is particular to our own antipodean experience.
Any suggestions of what to talk about - especially given that it is combined NZ and Australian service? Texts and topics greatly received.
3 comments:
What about "Freedoms come at a price", with an invitation to live as though the sacrifices made on one's behalf mean something.
Michael
I'm doing the local dawn service in Roseville and am thinking of Revelation 21.4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away'
On a day of morurning and tears and crying and pain its good to hear how God will wipe away our tears...
I had thought of 'greater love has no man than this, that he lay his life down for his friends' making the connection between love and death. I figure you've done a lot of thinking about that passage in context of martydom...
Given you're antipodean status, and that Anzac Day is commemorating camaraderie in conflict, perhaps these two themes - migration (voluntary and involuntary) and conflict (as a catalyst to migration) - could be considered instrumental (eg Acts 11:19) in how the gospel has been spread throughout the world in fulfillment of the great commission.
Post a Comment