Ah! These are great. I'll have to see how many I can identify in the next seminar I attend. My favourite tactic of conversational terrorism was perfected by G.E. Moore. When he disagreed with something he didn't even have to say anything. He would just sit quietly and sigh and shake his head. If asked if there was a problem he would brush it off and generously ask the speaker to continue (with any confidence now slowly draining away simply at the thought of all the devastating objections that the professor surely had to what he was saying). I told a friend about this and he mischievously tried it out on me while I was leading a bible study. Even when you know what is going on it is terribly disconcerting.
7 comments:
Ah! These are great. I'll have to see how many I can identify in the next seminar I attend.
My favourite tactic of conversational terrorism was perfected by G.E. Moore. When he disagreed with something he didn't even have to say anything. He would just sit quietly and sigh and shake his head. If asked if there was a problem he would brush it off and generously ask the speaker to continue (with any confidence now slowly draining away simply at the thought of all the devastating objections that the professor surely had to what he was saying).
I told a friend about this and he mischievously tried it out on me while I was leading a bible study. Even when you know what is going on it is terribly disconcerting.
JRS
Your comment is safe with me, sir, unless you request otherwise! Or right something vulgar.
Post a Comment