Thursday, June 12, 2008

Audio Bibles

Hey - does anyone have any advice on audio bibles?

I would like to get one I can listen to in the car - so either one I can burn onto CDs, or one that is already on CDs.

I don't much like cheesy synth music in the background, but if that's the way it comes, so be it... NIV or ESV.

Let me know!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Michael,

sorry, I don't have an audio Bible - and can't concentrate on anything wordier than Paul Kelly in the car - but am curious as to why only the two options?

btw - heard from Laurence that he really enjoyed reading your thesis, so congratulations on all the work!

:-)

Ben

michael jensen said...

Well, they seem to be the versions available. NiV is used in most churches, and I am coming around - slowly - to the ESV..

Michael F. Bird said...

Michael,
You HAVE to get the new one by Zondervan called "The Bible Experience" and it rocks!

michael jensen said...

Why? sell it to me!

Anonymous said...

What about James Earl Jones reading the KJV? Now that is good stuff.
http://americanesuperstore.stores.yahoo.net/nv2192180.html

Anonymous said...

Oh, right. Given the plethora of print translations available I thought there'd be audio RSVs, NRSVs, KJVs etc. widely available.

michael jensen said...

now: a technological question:

if I buy the MP3 version, I would have to burn it on to audio cds to listen to in the car, wouldn't I?

Anonymous said...

I can play MP3 on my car radio system. When you get your new car back home you can do that too.

Anonymous said...

another slightly more time consuming option is to record yourself. When I was working through Revelation I did this - took me an hour to read it. I found it helpful to read aloud and noticed things I hadn't heard before. Hearing it back was not as beautiful as James Earl Jones but not as distracting as a narration with special effect soundtrack

Anonymous said...

oooh I've got a great NIV one with no music and with high quality actors with English accents - I've been very impressed at the quality of the reading and v helpful emphasis... and David Suchet (aka Hercule Proirot)reading John etc (sadly without ze freeensh acsont) - I'll check out the make.

Paul said...

You can get the NIV on MP3 here. It has background music, but it is feint and barely noticeable after a while.

Cameron and Alex Grey Jones said...

Michael,
We have The Listener's Bible, read by Max McLean (http://www.listenersbible.com). No cheesy music nor dramatics, but not dry either.
They have free downloads to try out and available in both NIV and ESV.

We like it.

Marc Lloyd said...

Michael,

This may be of some interest:

http://www.davidpfield.com/audio-bible/AudioBible.htm

Best,

Marc

Nick Fortescue said...

I've got http://www.eden.co.uk/shop/bible___new_international_version___anglicised_cd_50916.html
which is I think the same as the one Sally mentions above.

A big pro for me (as a Brit) is the British actors reading it. There's no cheesy music. Con is that the OT is abridged. And one of my CDs didn't rip properly, but I probably could have got that replaced if I wasn't too lazy.

You can borrow it if you'd like to hear it, PM me.

Anonymous said...

I have an MP3 NIV bible narrated by Max McLean. No music, slight American twang, picked up by my iTunes very easily.
However, if you are still struggling, I would be happy to read the Alkitab in Bahasa for you. Slight nasal Australian accent, with only the noise of traffic and an occasional Qantas aircraft passing overhead in the background.