Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Bible read by Aussies?

In my investigations about audio bibles it struck me that there is no Aussie audio bible available. Does this matter? Would it be a powerful thing for Australians to hear the bible in their own language? Ought it not be a key component of Connect '09?

And: who would be a good actor/reader? And, which version would you choose?

10 comments:

jeltzz said...

I can't think of an australian-read version. I imagine one stumbling block would be that Australians find recordings of Australians to sound far more accented-pronounced, than listening to recordings of other accents, possibly because we are used to listening to a lot of non-Australian recordings (I mean in general). I'm not sure it matters.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justin said...

It couldn't be a deeply pronounced Australian Accent. I'm not sure of the right nomenclature re type of accent, but it would have to have broad appeal -- to city and to country people. News readers and producers get this.

I'm all for it, because the only one I've heard is the Max McLean version. And I simply can't listen to it! Too monochrome and forced. Too 'acted'.

Australians would need it to be more relaxed.

Its a pity the Lord to Clifford Warne from us.

Anonymous said...

Try www.faithcomesbyhearing.com. They have the Good News Australian Audio Bible for free.

Anonymous said...

Google found Today's English Version, narrated by "great Aussie voice talent", Ron Haddrick.

Is this a pining for home Michael? Wanting to once more be surrounded by your heart language?

Anonymous said...

I'd buy an NIV read by (former Channel 9 newsreader) Roger Climpson! He is a member of our 8:30am service (St Albans Lindfield) and reads beautifully...

Nathan

Anonymous said...

The Ron Haddrick one was produced by Clifford Warne, and Anglican Media still has a video version of Haddrick reading Mark's gospel on file - very dated now!

A number of years ago I produced an AUSLAN translation (Australian sign language) of parts of the Bible for the Bible Society - bits of the OT (Creation, Law, Psalms and key prophecy passages), and Mark, Luke and Acts. They wanted to do some of Paul's letters and Revelation but ran out of funds.

The DVDs had an audio track so they could be used as a teaching tool, and I used Roger Climpson and Kel Richards for most of it.

I never understood why they didn't release the voice tracks as separate products - it'd be very easy to do.

We used the Good News version because Bible Society owned the rights.

Lucy C said...

I vote for Roger Climpson.
Or Dominic Steele.

Anonymous said...

Surely Meryl Streep playing Jochebed (look her up, people, look her up) when interrogated by Egyptian authorities as to the whereabouts of her son...."A dingo took my bay-bee"

syd boydell said...

the bible society NT (GNV) with Ron Haddrick is very good; accent is mild Australian and the reading is clear and careful. Much better than the dramatised versions or the ones with music. We used this in the tape form on a 'round australia' holiday and it is now on MP3 for download to computer or your MP3 player (and its only around 20 AUD). Recommended!

Syd Boydell (St Judes Carlton VIC)