Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Pneumatikon in 1 Cor 12:1

What are the 'spirituals' that Paul is talking about in 1 Cor 12? Usually the translators expand the word as 'spiritual gifts' (ie, NIV): but the 'gifts' is implied, and since what follows is actually about the unity of the believers in the spirit and the single source of the different gifts... well, it seems peremportory to translate this word 'spiritual gifts' in my view... the charismata come in further down the paragraph, as a matter of fact.

8 comments:

bcg said...

So if the 'spirituals' in 1 Corinthians 12.1 are not necessarily 'gifts', what makes the 'charismata' in the rest of the chapter 'spiritual'?

Perhaps the translation of this passage is coloured by the mixing-together of two separate words? Maybe, but only in a technical sense - I'm not convinced it decisively changes any meaning.

Sam Allberry said...

Would you leave it as "spirituals", then?

Is there a chance we've created a category that we call "spiritual gifts" and constructed a theology around it, only for it to be - while not absent - at least more nuanced than we realised? (Genuine, not loaded question!)

michael jensen said...

Well, I think it connects better with the whole 'Jesus is Lord' section. Paul isn't (on this reading) saying 'now, look here, about spiritual gifts...' - he is rather saying 'look here, about those spiritual things/the things of spiritual nature' etc -

Interesting how it leads into the discussion in 1 Cor 15 about 'spirit' and the body...

Anonymous said...

ooooh something on your blog I can actually coment on!!!

I wrote a long essay on this one and came up with basically the same theory Michael is talking about -

In fact the term pneumaticon "spiritual things" was probably the term used in the pagan practices for things that looked similar to the work of the Holy Spirit in the Corinthian church (prophecy, tongues, physical experiences etc). It seems probable that the term "charismata" was invented (either by Paul or by another recent preacher in the church - it wasn't the first time they'd heard it) to draw a distinction between the two practices - the main distinction being that pagan practices of "spiritual things" could boost the status of the practicioner whereas "charismata" or "graciously given gifts" must only bring status to God.

I have lots more thoughts on this one if you're interested!

michael jensen said...

well YES - keep em coming!

Anonymous said...

Well here's a my little section summarizing what I read on 1 Corinthians 12:1-3 in paticular ... it's not anything grownd breaking but maybe it'll prompt some discussion from more profound thinkers...

1Corinthians 12:1-3
Paul referred to the spiritual giftedness of the Corinthian church in 1:7. Now in chapter 12, he begins by expressing his wish that the Corinthians should not be uninformed about the pneumatikon (v1). This word can be taken as a neuter (spiritual things) or as a masculine noun (spiritual men, persons); support for either interpretation can be found elsewhere in the letter and little difference in sense is involved.

Paul probably chose to use pneumatikon in this verse to meet the Corinthians on their own turf. But he wastes little time in returning to charismata in 12:4, perhaps because pneumatikon was the general term describing religious - especially ecstatic - experience in paganism. That such experiences lay in the Corinthians' past is suggested by v2, which he then places under the test of christological confession (v3). By stating this test at the beginning at his argument, Paul asserts clearly two important principles: that every Corinthian believer possessed the Holy Spirit, and that their pagan neighbours did not. This had the clear implication that every Christian was 'spiritual'; the mark appearing to be baptism (and not, therefore, speaking in tongues). It also served as a watchword for the church in assessing would-be leaders within their congregation, for a true prophet accepts the authority of Jesus as their Lord.

Lots of interesting implications for me as a charismatic today but I'm probably preaching to the converted on this one!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Gosh my spelling is terrible when I've had no sleep!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry in my enthusiasm at finding something I have actually thought about a bit I don't think I answered the question!

In terms of including the nuances Paul is intending to make I agree with Michael and Sam (I think!), I think it would be better to translate pneumatikon as "spiritual things" instead of "spiritual gifts" so we can see his shift in terms (whatever his reasons for it).

The thing I'm not entirely happy with is why does Paul have a separate catagary for these (whatever "these" were) at all? Surely he's not meaning to say that only certain things we do in church are spiritual!