Monday, June 01, 2009

With God, nothing is impossible...

This weekend's Sydney Morning Herald magazine included a feature on the minority of people who have chosen not to have sex before (or outside) marriage. (Unfortunately it is not published online, or I would link to it). Though the author, Amanda Hooton, interviews a number of people who are celibate or trying to be (including the admirable Jason Stevens) and does so sympathetically, she throws a great deal of doubt on whether the celibate lifestyle and its promotion is healthy and safe.

She cites statistics which show that celibacy pledges actually achieve nothing by way of stopping pre-marital sexual activity, and actually increase the likelihood of such activity occurring in an unsafe way. Further, by linking sex to guilt and shame, religious groups are making it more difficulty for teenagers to behave in a mature way, not easier (is the claim).

Hooton writes:
It [sex] is...on some basic level, part of what it is to be human; part of life. And chastity, in this context at least, feels like a denial of life. Can it really be a path to happiness and contentment? Perhaps no-one can answer this question for anyone else...but one can't help wonder about the coercive powers of chastity movements en masse, rather than on an individual basis, in which so many people are manoeuvered into decision that are not only evidently wrong for them, but potentially dangerous.

So here we have the usual stuff about personal authenticity and sex as an expression of it. And the importance of the personal in sexual ethics.

All the people interviewed in the article are religious in one way or another, and extremely so -Pentecostal Christians and Mormons, which increases the impression that this is not a 'rational' way to behave. I was disappointed at how unconvincing they were. While some of them give a good account of themselves, the reasoning of some of the people interviewed far too easily falls into a lame consequentialism. That is, they seek to establish that sex before marriage is in some way demonstrably bad for you. 'You'll get pregnant'. 'You'll get disease'. 'You'll be psychologically damaged'. Trouble is, the secular person can respond to all these by saying 'good education prevents these', and 'teens are just as likely to have pre-marital sex with a chastisty pledge as without'.

And this is where I wonder whether Christians have got the reasoning about this all wrong and fallen back into a kind of terrible Pelagianism with regard to sex before marriage. In the first instance, the consequentialist arguments about pre-marital sex are not very convincing - and in fact there has emerged a counter argument (that celibacy is bad for you, or at least, for many). At this point the celibacy movements are looking more than a little shaky. They haven't convinced people that the consequences of sex outside marriage are that devastating. And the heated rhetoric they use seems to belong to a different age.

And times have indeed changed: in a former time, social pressure and shame would have pushed most people in the direction of pre-marital abstinence. People would have lived out a Christianised ethic in their sex lives, but on the basis of conformity to social norms. And the dangers, especially for girls, of misbehaviour were very severe. Without reliable contraception or easy access to abortion, self-control was a necessary weapon against the terrible stigma of teen pregnancy or worse. Religious teaching of course played a part, but in a negative sense: reminding people of the terrible spiritual consequences of misbehaviour rather than the potential for grace and forgiveness.

Now social pressure runs the other way (it is a truism to say!). 75% of people think pre-marital sex is fine. Religious groups are in decline. The public square is saturated with sexual images. It is thought normal and healthy to experiment with sex outside marriage, so long as you don't hurt anyone. It is 'part of a life' - felt to be part of really living. Girls and boys are taught that to be a full person you need to express your sexual self, not exercise restraint. And their bodily appetites confirm this.

This is where a theological account of human nature needs to come in. Whereas before, conformity to social norms made celibacy humanly possible, the new context makes it (for many people) humanly impossible. And this is where just telling people to try harder, or getting them to make pledges, or take cold showers, is bound to fail. Or, it gives them false hope in their ability to master themselves. It trusts too much in the flesh over which we have in the end so little power - without the Spirit of God. If you are a youth leader wondering how on earth you can tell your young people to keep their hands off each other, well let us acknowledge the reality of the situation: it is impossible. It is impossible because of social convention, because consequential arguments don't convince, and because human flesh is weak.

But Jesus said:
With man it is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God. This applies to randy teenagers as much as to greedy rich men. With the Spirit of God, it is possible even for young people to remain celibate until they are married. I am convinced that this is the teaching of the Bible, which is good for human beings - even when they can't explain how. If it weren't at least sometimes the case that the Word of God asked of us something that runs counter to what is apparently reasonable and decent in the contemporary world, I would doubt that it was the Word of God!

19 comments:

Mandy said...

Michael, can I grab a copy of the article from you on Wednesday? I missed the paper this weekend.

As a single Christian woman, it frustrates me that once again the myth that you are not an adult unless you are having sex is perpetuated.

'Just don't do it' doesn't help people to understand that God is not a kill-joy. We've done people a disservice by not teaching them that sex is a good gift of God, designed to be expressed in the safety of a lifelong commitment - marriage.

michael jensen said...

Sure, I'll try and remember.

You are right of course - the kind of 'well it is right for some WEIRD individuals, but clearly they are suppressing their humanity' line is a shocker.

I wonder if our Christian talk about this has romanticised married sex in an unhelpful way, though.

Simone R. said...

I found this really encouraging. Thanks.

Mandy said...

'I wonder if our Christian talk about this has romanticised married sex in an unhelpful way, though.'

I hadn't thought about this specifically in relation to sex, but have been thinking that one of the problems we have created in Christian circles is so idealising the marriage relationship that it becomes THE relationship we all must have, to completely express our humanity. It's like we've forgotten that marriage points towards the ultimate union between Christ and the church! (kudos to Piper for reminding me of that). As such, singles feel like they are missing out, marrieds are under incredible pressure - because if their marriage isn't the be-all-and-end-all, they must be failing! And it is all so unhelpful.

Leo said...

another report about evangelical teen-age girls in america that says pretty much the same thing,
without the "But Jesus said:..." bit.

Here

Anonymous said...

Maybe it would be a constructive use of our time to bash out a robust answer to this question.

As a uni chaplain it's one I hear about once a week. I have a few phrases that I tend to pull out but nothing particularly coherent.
To get the ball rolling in a discussion on this my thoughts generally revolve around the following:

1. Identity - my generation (and subsequent ones) define ourselves by our sexual activity to an extreme that would be shocking to most other cultures geographically and historically. In becoming a christian God calls us to have our identity in something less achievement based, more dependable, in the fact that we are loved by him and people who Christ died for, etc.

2. How do we work out our ethics? Similar to what Michael said, most people either work out their ethics on a mixture of what feels right for them or what society says is right. Both of these are potentially flawed. For the christian, ethics are worked out by trying to follow the maker's instructions - and I would expect a God who is outside of my frames of reference to say some stuff that runs against what I feel and what my society says.

3. Happiness/Fulfilment - my (single) vicar often says "can you really imagine Mother Terassa getting to the end of her life and saying that her greatest regret was that she died a virgin?" - our sexual activity shouldn't be the sole definition of a fulfilled or meaningful life. Jesus doesn't ignore happiness and fulfilment in his teaching (far from it - think sermon on the Mount)...etc

4. Intimacy - part of the reason why sexual activity has taken such a prominent place in our society is because we've withdrawn from community in general so the thirst for intimacy is more acute. You can live without sex but you cannot live without intimacy.
Jesus doesn't give us commands for single people to be celibate in a vacuum. With it comes the call to be part of a radical community with a God who knows and cares for us more profoundly than any human being could, and to be part of a community in the church where (whether you're married or single) everyone is looked out for and noone is lonely. We're not there yet but that's where we're heading.

I know this leaves a lot to be said... I'd love to hear what anyone else would add to this though...

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah - something I should add to 2.
An important aspect of christian ethics are that they are formed on trust of a person.

My father has a rare blood disorder and sometimes he can look fairly healthy but be seriously ill. If a surgeon said that my father should have his leg amputated I might question the decision particularly because we can't see anything wrong with him. Is she just saying this because it would be the more convenient or cheeper than the other options, should we get another opinion, etc).
But if this same surgeon was also someone who knew my father and cared about him, if she was someone who on finding that he has a rare blood group that she happened to be as well, said she was willing to give a lot of her own blood for the operation or even something like a kidney for him, that would change how we felt about her advice even if we didn't see the need for it.

I'm willing to go with what Jesus says about the best use for my sexuality primarily because of who's saying it.

Georgina said...

Thank you Michael for a great comment. It was such a sad article - these people were seen as weird, narrow minded and odd.

There was no mention of how destructive to a person sex can be when it is given outside of commitment, there was no mention of the whole sex industry and it's sad and painful underbelly.

We so all need intimacy Sally. Very good point. And that's where church sometimes fails us, married or single.

Roger Gallagher said...

I haven't read the whole article yet, so can't comment on the unread bits yet. But for me, one of the saddest points in what I've read so far was the writer's comment:
"The question that one can't help but wonder about at this point is what do celibate people do, frankly, instead of having sex? What does a 36-year-old man - or woman, for that matter - do to show affection, attraction, desire, love when sexual avenues are closed?"

Now I'm a romantically clueless 37-year-old Christian man who is, yes, a virgin . But I'm certain that even I could come up with some way of showing affection, attraction & love that didn't involve sex!

In the end, as well as reminding myself that God's wiser than me, I remind myself that my virginity or my singleness doesn't define me. I'd love to experience the intimacy that marriage, love & sex bring, but I'm not distraught by the very real possibility that I might miss out on them. For their absence doesn't mean that I can't live a rich and full life. For that reason, I don't see my celibacy as life-denying.

Bruce Yabsley said...

Not for the first time, Michael, I'm going to try to raise the ante on some points you've made here: specifically about Christians' posture and rhetoric in this matter.

You task Hooton with rehearsing the “usual stuff about personal authenticity and sex as an expression of it”, but in the snippet you quote, her criticism is addressed at chastity movements: and one does not need to have any quarrel with the Christian sexual ethic, to have a quarrel with chastity movements and their antics. I mean: pledges at father-daughter functions? It is impossible to defend this sort of thing against the charge of creepy mediaevalising, because ... well, it is creepy and mediaevalising. People outside these movements in the States regard this sort of manoeuvre as essentially discrediting. So do I. So may you, I suspect.

And sorry, but the personal is important in sexual ethics. When we were teens, and well into our twenties, the evangelical church cultivated a rhetorical world which professed to find sexual relations apart from marriage objectionable in an undifferentiated way, which is madness from an evaluative point of view. So a sexually active couple of 16 is in the same category as common-law-married couples in their twenties? In their thirties? Really?If we want to challenge our society to step outside itself and see its imbalance (as Sally helpfully says) then we should be prepared to do the same. In many respects, the attachment to no-sex-before-marriage as a boundary marker within the evangelical community is not a healthy one: I repeat that one can think that, without necessarily having a quarrel with the ethic as such. Roger's point (and Sally's, in different terms) that it's a mistake to consider oneself to be defined by one's sexual behaviour, cuts both ways.

An environment where it's easier to sneak around as a couple (who decline from the ethic) even in one's twenties, rather than living together openly like grown-ups and maintaining a frank disagreement with the community, is an environment that has issues with control and problems with authenticity and maturity, however inconvenient this may be to acknowledge. I guess you know examples, as do I.

luke s. said...

I skimmed the article, but I've read a number of similar pieces on the research and movement elsewhere, and I think actually it's excellent the research on pledges is available, so we know the truth about it. And the truth is it doesn't really work. The researchers should be applauded. I can't imagine the church or organisation itself doing that kind of extensive research, can you? Why bother when you can sail through on good intentions...

No offense Michael, but it's a bit easy to say "wah media" and "God can do the impossible." :) He might, but apparently he doesn't do it very often with those making pledges it seems! In fact they often end up in riskier situations at times than they would have otherwise.

The problem with the celibacy movement is exactly that - it's a 'celibacy movement', which is pretty weird when you think about it. When you divorce morality from its source (not just God/bible, but the personal commitment required to something beyond one particular behaviour or a lack of it), you're going to end up with something trying to stand on its own, resorting to shaky arguments, and failing.

Of course, the pledging movement is a product of the American conservative cultural movement (another great success they've blessed us with), and should be seen as such. The religious overtones are nice, but it's as much about 'traditional American values' (whatever they are) as it is about real Christianity per-se, the two just happen to correlate.

It would certainly be interesting to see similar research done on the young Sydney Anglican population, though, just to know where they are at in the scheme of things.

michael jensen said...

Thanks everyone. I have posted this as my weekly Syd Angs article at http://www.sydneyanglicans.net/life/culture/sex_is_bad_no_argument/

I know some who have entered into the discussion here won't do so there however. So keep it going here if you like.

@Mandy, Sally, Roger, Georgina: thanks. I think yes, detatching sex from identity is part of the issue. Though my goodness that is really really hard to do on a culture-wide scale. And, as Bruce says, you can have a conservative version of the same thing - making virginity a totem (almost).

@Bruce - I think, like it or not, sex is the issue of the age, and so it is hard for it not to become a boundary marker one way or t'other. But you reminded me that there is a world of difference between the abstinence of teens and the abstinence of adults, too. The original article, while interviewing adults as its subjects, talked about programs for teens. This difference was glossed over without comment.

Bruce Yabsley said...

"This difference was glossed over without comment." Well then, that's unreasonable. Although it wouldn't be the first time that an argument, that didn't really follow, was adduced against something that the writer had decided was bad on other grounds.

You wrote "it is hard for it not to become a boundary marker one way or t'other", and I'll concede that, but my problem isn't so much it becoming a boundary marker, but people going out of their way to make it one, or to make use of the fact that it is one. And that's not quite the same thing. (I have in mind an analogy to stumbling blocks being inevitable, but woe to those by whom they come.)

michael jensen said...

Well, blame games aren't much fun or very enlightening. Everybody seems to be pointing at everybody else and saying 'you're obsessed with sex!'

Bruce Yabsley said...

Well maybe they are, but that's not what I'm saying. Clearly our culture has a huge issue --- a manifest imbalance --- in this area, and charges-and-counter-charges between factions about it don't really shed light. There was a discussion about this here a couple of years ago, when we made exactly this point. If you're engaged with one particular community, discussion of whether that or another community is more-or-less obsessed is futile.

What I mean to say is: I really don't care for inevitability arguments, and think there's an important point to be made here --- that something may be inevitable, but it can still be bad; and it can still be important to try to avoid it, or get beyond it. The resort the plain consequentialism, which you rightly criticised in your original post, would be an example.

Andrew W said...

The article linked by Leo was an interesting take. Two things in particular stood out to me:

(1) The "well duh" comment is that those who regularly practice their Christianity and/or are part of an extensive support network are more likely to delay sex. Sexual purity within a wider belief system is of course going to be more effective than as a goal in itself. Which perhaps demonstrates how easily moral positions get sidetracked into taking a life of their own.

(2) Comparing success rates of "young" marriage to those of 30-somethings ready to settle down is likewise elevating "successful marriage" to a goal rather than a mechanism. Getting one's sensual indulgence out of the way before marriage doesn't really honour God's idea of marriage any more than the hasty pre-birth wedding does. That said, conflating social and spiritual seems fairly common in the U.S..

助けて~! said...

凄く困ってます☆ love-cac@docomo.ne.jp すぐに連絡ください

出張ホスト said...

マダムと甘い時間を過ごしてみませんか?性欲を持て余しているセレブたちは出張ホストサービスで男性を探し、セックスを求めているのです。ホスト希望の方なら容姿や年齢は一切不問!ご近所の女性を探して、多額の報酬をゲットしよう

Sophie said...

I only just found this, but just thought I'd add a late comment..

I'm a ministry trainee with Christians in the Media, and one of my uni bible studies had finished the studies I'd prepared for the semester before the other groups.
It happened to be the last week of semester when this article appeared in Good Weekend.
So, we read it together and I had them compose letters to the editor in response. I too wrote one.
None were published, but I just wanted them to think beyond the article, and learn to question the assumptions behind it.
Glad to read your thoughts on it as well. Did you think of sending something in?
Sophie