I have had perhaps four or five episodes of migraine headaches in my life. I don't want any more.
It is inadequate to call a migraine a headache: it is more a whole body displacement. It is like going out of focus. The nausea rises and rises until you are blind with it. But it is a nausea of its own kind somehow not digestive. Do I want to eat, or not? So, you eat something...but, no, I didn't want to eat at all, the food lies flat and heavy in your mouth. The metallic taste that seeps down from your brain through your skull and onto your tongue makes you feel like you are chewing on a nice fragment of the handlebars on your bicycle. You can barely see: or, rather you look but you don't see. Light itself suddenly feels poisonous, vile and agressive. People speak words to you but they don't speak syntax. Words no longer run like tickertape lines across the bottom of your brain's screen. They are now like heavy lotto balls swimming round and round and popping suddenly out! one by one but not with any sense of relief just outness. You feel regret for something you must have done to feel like this, but you can't remember what it was, because there wasn't anything. You make yourself promises you'll never drink coffee again, or red wine, or any other headachy thing, but they weren't to blame. You go to sleep, but it isn't sleep that you have, it is just shutting your eyes and waiting with the neckstiff burr of blood on your plastic-waxy eardrum tom-toms.
A migraine is an assault on being itself. It's dreadful power lies in the fact that you can't locate it anywhere, so you can't mollify it or tame it. It seperates you from your body even though you know that without your body you aren't anyone.
10 comments:
God bless you and heal you brother.
Thanks Abu: I am well now, (had it last week) though perhaps your prayer just now restored me to health then...
And I am a mild sufferer. I know some people who get these regularly and severely.
I'm lucky -- when I get a migraine, I just get the visual disturbance (blinding patterns of light). It's irritating to be temporarily blind, but it sounds much nicer than the ones you get!
Well, as I say, I have only had a few EVER. BUt it is such an unusual and hard to locate experience...
Michael
just beware, meningitus can be misdiagnosed as migraine. If you have migraine kind of headache and severe neck stiffness and you can't stand light then warning bells should be ringing. Glad to hear you're better
Sartre reckoned that nausea was the purest form of being. When you feel sick there is no past, no future, just you - existing.
Sounds like being sea-sick has nothing on a migraine. But just think! - you experienced pure being and existence;-)
- JRS
wow, he's right you know. Time disappears, or it starts to have no significance.
I hope you go to the doctor.
oh, mu-um!
Trouble is, by the time you can get an NHS doctor to see you, it has all gone... or you are beyond help...
Sorry to hear of your migraine last week. I get them..although not as much when I'm pregnant (thankfully). They render me completely useless.
Hope you don't get another one for years and years and years, if ever again.
Post a Comment