Sunday, March 16, 2008

Take the hermeneutics quiz...

... and tell me what you scored.

I got 71, which, in author Scot McKnight's book makes me a 'progressive!' I thought I was more moderate than that...

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael,

The link is ineffective.

Jason

michael jensen said...

FIxed. Sorry.

jeltzz said...

I got 55, which made me a moderate.

I got frustrated by some of the spectrums, wherein I wanted to be somewhere between 1 and 5, like on the back of the answer sheet or something. I ended up with a lot of 2s in the first half. The questions about OT law practices for Christians I found extremely unsatisfactory in terms of possible answers.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Craig Schwarze said...

52 - a conservative.

Assuming the first answers were always the most conservative, it's interesting that they associate individualism with conservatism (in terms of reading and understanding the Bible).

Anonymous said...

I got a 41. Surprisingly it almost puts me into the "fundamentalist" category. :-)

Simone R. said...

49 - a conservative.

Some dumb answer options.

byron smith said...

67. I always knew you were going soft Michael. :-)

Vaughan Smith said...

Conservative. I especially like Mr. Celular, the Brazilian mobile phone robot.

byron smith said...

Although at least half the questions, I either didn't like any of the answers, or thought it was a false dichotomy.

Gordon Cheng said...

39. Conservative.

Why were you surprised by your result, Michael?

Craig Schwarze said...

Gosh, my 52 is looking decidedly liberal... ;-)

There were 3 questions that I answered "5" on -

* Discerning the historical context of a passage is: Necessary and dangerous to avoid in reading the Bible.

* Tattoos: Are permissible, because the purity codes are not for Christians today

* Sabbath: Turned into Sunday for Christians, who need to worship together (on the weekend, at least) and can work if they think they need to.

Anonymous said...

I got 81! Will you guys still talk to me? I agree some of the question seem to squeeze you into a particular category. I would have considered myself a moderate.

Anonymous said...

48. conservative.

Anonymous said...

Yes! I'm winning! 37.

mark said...

55, moderate.

and yes, as per Jeltzz' comment, the OT questions were begging for more options!

michael jensen said...

I have just taken the test again: this time, I scored 60! So, it depends on the time of day...

Always these sort of things are inadequate, but still, interesting.

Murray said...

65 ... somewhere between Michael on a good day and Michael on a bad day.

Anonymous said...

52... which makes you a soft headed liberal Michael Jensen!!!

Wayne Massey said...

66 - on the cusp of being moderate

Tom Barrett said...

61 - moderate. Phew.

David Castor said...

Craig and others seemed shocked when I suggested that I scored as a conservative. I don't know why.

Anyway, I took the test seriously and scored 81, although when I took the test a few weeks ago I scored 83.

Just to respond to your confusion Craig, there are some problems with the test:

Tattoos: Are permissible, because the purity codes are not for Christians today

Mark Driscoll anomaly.

Sabbath: Turned into Sunday for Christians, who need to worship together (on the weekend, at least) and can work if they think they need to.

Capitalist anomaly.

Discerning the historical context of a passage is: Necessary and dangerous to avoid in reading the Bible.

Wishful thinking anomaly.

So I wouldn't worry if I were you Craig - you're really a 40 at heart :)

Anonymous said...

50 - not surprised that I'm a conservative. Don't let Mike Carlton find out your score - it'll completely ruin his rantings regarding your family.

Anonymous said...

54. That was fun.

Unknown said...

55, Moderate, but I know I'm more of a Conservative. Maybe it was the fact that I didn't understand some of the questions: "God's inspired words in confluence with the authors." (Er, pardon? Still, I'll tick that box as it looks more likely than the other options.)

Anonymous said...

I got 40 which I am told means I am a conservative on The Hermeneutic Scale. Sound about right :)

Sam Allberry said...

I'm a conservative, quite the moment of self-discovery - who needs gap years when these tests are around?

Rory Shiner said...

51. Just scrapped in as a conservative. Go me!

Steve Carlisle said...

44 for me, i am most happy, not of my result, but that my tag seems to match what i thought of myself.

Ah, the self esteem flowing!!

Anonymous said...

67 - Progressive (just)

Unknown said...

40. Conservative. Not happy about the Sabbath question though.

The Pook said...

56, Moderate.

Stupid alternatives. Hardly any of the questions gave me an option as an answer that I actually believe and half of them were very obscure as to their meaning anyway.

Some of the questions raise issues covered by ATB McGowan's latest book, The Divine Spiration of Scripture. There's a rumour you have given it a positive review. Have you? If so where can I get hold of it?