Interesting stuff by Hans Conzelmann in his 1 Corinthians commentary (p.179-80):
"His (Paul's) exemplariness consists in the fact that - in himself, objectively, on the basis of his calling - he is nothing. In all the passages on the imitatio Pauli the paradox of this exemplariness appears... The imitation of Christ takes its bearings not on the person of the historical Jesus, not on his way of life, but - in the sense of Philippians 2:6ff - on his saving work."
Paul never knew the earthly Jesus, as far as we know: at least, not as a disciple. While he quotes teachings of the Lord not found in the Gospels, what drives his sense of his own calling and his instructions to his followers is rooted in Paul's gospel - the gospel of the crucified and risen Messiah. His "principal norm" is the gospel itself, and for Paul this means that the self-sacrifice and suffering of the cross and the exaltation (by the Spirit) of the resurrection. It also means the binding of the Corinthians into a new set of relationships, with God and with each other.
So: the imitation of Christ in 1 Corinthians takes place in not only in echo of his sacrificial and suffering work on the cross but also proleptically, in advance of his return, in terms of his resurrected, "second Adam" identity.
In 1 Corinthians both flanges of the gospel are prominent in response to "ethical" or sociological issues. Their imitation of Paul and Jesus takes place in the context of their new identity as Jesus body/the temple of the Holy Spirit...
Oh, and it involves their bodies...
9 comments:
G'day Michael.
I think we need to be careful in our use of the word "imitate" in regards to todays cultural understanding of the meaning.
I wonder if the use of "Transformation" would be better to be used, as Paul says elsewhere to be transformed through the renewing of your mind.
It is the saving work of Christ is what drives Paul, in that he is forgiven and knows it absolutely, and that it is undeserved.
Paul also goes onto to say that it is no longer he who lives, that it is Christ who lives in him.
What is the saving work of Christ that drives Paul, I think it's more than just the specific time when Jesus was executed...it includes the whole ministry of Christ from his prophetic foretelling, the out pouring of the Holy Spirit and his empowering and gifting us through to his return.
craig bennett
I would agree that the "imitation" ethic needs to be placed in the context of the transformation of the believer/s by the presence of the Holy Spirit.
But do you have any evidence for that claim about the "whole ministry of Jesus"? Are we really to copy him in every regard? Have a closer look at 1 Corinthians 11:1 and its context. You could add other texts where Paul asks the believers to mimic Jesus- think of Phil 2:5-11, for example. Overwhemlingly they refer to Jesus' humble laying down of his rights illustrated on the cross. Paul makes almost no reference to Jesus' "whole ministry" in this connection - certainly not his prophetic foretelling or his performing of miracles.
Obviously the "what would Jesus do" ethic must be limited in some way: its absurdities come out in things like "what would Jesus eat", a book currently being flogged in the US. I take it we are not to identify ourselves as the Messiah, either. So mimicing Jesus needs to be defined with great care.
G'day Michael,
When I say his prophetic foretelling I mean in regards to the first propehcy regarding Christ as in Genesis through to revelations, more so then about the prophetic ability of Christ himself.
However in this you do miss a important scripture from what Christ himself says in Mathew 28:18-20.
He commands his disciples to teach us to obey all he commanded them, that is a perpetual commandment that reaches to us today.
We need to draw a distinction I think between actions (out working of our calling) and our attitudes.
Paul is making a distinction in Phil 2:5 about our attitude towards others while we walk out our calling and gifting.
I see Paul making reference to this in Corinthians when he says to do all things in the power of love, making note to the Corinthians about the empowering of the Holy Spirit for us as believers, in this way we too are mimicing Christ as he could only minister in the power of the Holy Spirit as well.
Blessings craig bennett
Is obedience the same as imitating? And what exactly did Jesus command his apostles/disciples to do? And: in Mat 28, is he only talking to the apostles - as a group - there, and does that make a difference? (ie I think the apostles are different from the rest of us in their role) Actually, a question I would put to charismatics is: is it possible that you are failing to see that we are not to mimic the apostles in all things because they have a particularly authoritative role in the church, a role now carried out by the record of thier teaching in the scriptures and in the teaching offices of the churches? (it's a genuine, friendly question, to which I am sure charismatics have a good answer...).
G'day Michael.
Are you saying that Paul is selective in what he says we are to mimic / imitate of him? if so is there any scripture to back that up?
I would say that the commandment to obey all that Jesus taught the disciples is for us as well today, I don't think there is any other way to read Mathew 28.
The only difference to the first Apostles is that they wrote Scripture, it's interesting that only 5 out of the 12 Apostles wrote Scripture.
What authority did the other 7 apostles carry, they are not mentioned much by Scripture, perhaps they are in the same league as Barnabus carrying apostolic authority, and if that is so....
I see Scripture as a fulfillment of the Apostles teaching us to this present age the things Christ taught them - which is the authority of the Apostle ...
I think sometimes in the evangelical church there is too much emphasis on what the Apostles did and taught over what Christ did and taught....I say this because I think ultimatly we are to obey Christ more so then the Apostles...
I see nothing but friendliness in your questions and answers Michael, as a Charismatic I see the Scriptures as the final authority for all we do, for example; Paul commands us to eagerly desire spiritual gifts. especially that of prophecy as against preaching. As a charismatic I put that into practice, John records Jesus saying John 14:12 NASB
Joh 14:12 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and (18) greater works than these he will do; because (19) I go to the Father.
Jesus says two things in this verse about those who believe in him,
1. They will do what ever he was doing.
2. They will do even greater things as well because of Holy Spirit being given to us all.
I don't think that you can make a case from this passage that Jesus was only talking to his disciples.
Blessings craig b
Well I think in 1 Corinthians Paul was particularly referring to Jesus' example in laying down his rights from the context. He was referring to his, say, sandal-wearing (to take a silly example). So, the imitation of Jesus has some shape to it.
Thanks for the saying from John's gospel... I think again you would have to ask "to what is Jesus particularly refering here?".
The case about the apostles in Mt 28 has been made by scholars, though Peter O'Brien refutes it.
G'day Michael
I agree with what you say about the context of what Paul is saying to the Corinthians, in a way what he is saying is another slant of what Christ was saying in the sermon on the mount.
In the context of the preceeding verses in John we cannot escape that the works Jesus is initially speaking of being all the work that Christ did . miracles / signs wonders etc.
I think that collectively as the Church we are to walk in the calling God has called us to do, to preach the gospel, show compassion to the hurting and wounded, heal the physical and spiritual sick, deliver people from demons, feed the hungry, visit the lonely and shut in etc.
What we do as individuals in our part of answering that call depends on how we are gifted and where God has called us to serve.
We all are to show the attitude of Christ in what ever it is we are called to do.
You mentioned Peter O'Brien refuting what others have said about Matt 28..what is your own personal opinion on it and why?
craig b
Well: the debate was raised in terms of great commission. Is every Christian commissioned there to be an evangelist/disciple-maker, or is a commission given to the church as a whole in the form of their representative leaders the apostles?
The word "apostles" isn't used,interestingly; and as a piece of literature this rousing ending of the gospel must surely grab the reader of the text as being something that involves them. So, my inclination is to go with the "that means all of us" interpretation, though there is a case to be made on the other side of the ledger.
To briefly comment on the Mt 28 passage, surely one question we need to ask is whether the intial gospels were intended primarily for private reading or especially in a corporate gathering - if the latter, then while the 'go and make disciples' would certainly grab the audience, this may well have been primarily the corporate audience: 'hey, we need to be sending people out into all the world to make disciples' , more than 'hey, I myself on my own, need to go.' Especially given the fact that baptism and teaching are jobs for the church collectively rather than just for individuals.
I'd like to hear Michael's thoughts on the John passage.
And Craig, what is your concern about today's cultural understanding of the word 'imitate' that makes its use problematic?
Post a Comment