To my alarm, it has come to my attention more than once that some readers think that in this post from last month, 'Missiological Assumptions', I was urging clergy everywhere to don their collars and dress up in their flowing white robes!
I was not.
I think a straight reading of the post will reveal that my intentions were quite otherwise: I was merely questioning some of the discourse that I have heard used to justify changes in church practices over the years, and also asking whether we really are as flexible as we think we are. It was somewhat of a thought experiment - and a useful one I feel.
Furthermore, in the discussion that followed a variety of views were expressed. Some people made my point more intensely than I had, I think, or pushed it further than I had done. The discussion was vigorous, but polite and thoughtful too.
A few points:
1) a blog post is not a definitive declaration of one's deepest convictions.
2) the owner of the blog ought not to be judged by the opinions of the commenters.
3) good missiology helps us to revisit our assumptions, doesn't it?
7 comments:
lol!
Yes, Lady Penelope, I am afraid it is true!
"3) good missiology helps us to revisit our assumptions, doesn't it?"
As does a good blog post.
I thought it highlighted for me how much misunderstanding can be created when we are not in the same room and debating people I've never met.
it was a blog post that I felt like I burnt myself by.
HOW could they possibly get that from what you actually wrote!
Honestly! They might find themselves gunned down by a pink rolls-royce if they're not careful!
I must admit to sharing Sally's bafflement. My impression of your post and subsequent comments was that far from advocating specific measures, you were rather calling us to reflect on whether our rhetoric fits and has fitted our underlying motives.
Of course this blog post of yours means that you are publicly committed to resisting turning your blog into a seat from which, ex cathedra, you may pronounce with infallibility...
Personally I'd hedge my bets and try to leave some wiggle space to become just a little bit of a pope!!
LOL
Post a Comment