Friday, October 30, 2009

On Psalm 119

I am preparing a sermon series on Psalm 119. And it's tougher than it looks!

Psalm 119: The Inexhaustible Word

119:9-16 The Word that Delights
119:90-96 The Word that Preserves
119:105-112 The Word that Guides

Pretty dull, huh?

any help?

7 comments:

gbroughto said...

the whole psalm?? maybe "An Exhausting Word" might be a better sermon title...

Mum said...

Have you read Christopher Ash's book on Psalm 119 'Bible Delight'?

Unknown said...

Theme each week after a classic 1980s film.

I have no idea how you'd actually do it.

byron smith said...

119:1-176 The Word that Repeats

Chris O said...

I'm assuming you're taking it to refer as the antitype of the covenant rule view of scriptures (function of God's word), but if it's writings about torah, not prophets, doesn't john 1:17, eph 2:15, Gal 2:15-16, Gal 3:21 etc suggest it's not for us about the bible in general, but if "the law was sweeter than honey, to be hidden in our heart" yet Christ is the end of the law (to dwell in our hearts by faith)?

I want to go with both of these, but I'm confused how to relate the two.

Anonymous said...

Christopher Ash is fantastic
I have preach 13 on Psalm 119 with 9 to go. broken in two runs. surprisingly it hasn't worn thin from what I can gather.

Justin said...

Turn those phrases into real sentences that mean something to a listener... is my advice.