I am starting to get into Kevin Vanhoozer's Remythologizing Theology. I enjoyed this comment:
The Bible both describes and participates in the economy of triune communicative action. The Bible is noth a unified (one mythos) and many-voicced discourse whose form is theologically significant. As opposed to monologic epics - comprehenisive stories told by an omniscient narrator with a single set of concepts and categories - the Bible communicates its theodramatic story dialogically. To speak of mythos is to remember both that there is a unifying plot and that no one voice, perspective or set of categories alone articulates it. Rather the divine playwright employs a plurality of human voices to communicate what he was doing in Christ to reconcile the world to himself. p. 26
This meshes with the idea I have had for a project on theological anthropology which would engage with the great literary genres as alterative or overlapping mythoi in comparison and contrast to the Biblical mythos. (You have to read Vanhoozer to see what he means by 'mythos' btw).
1 comment:
I'll be interested to know your ongoing thoughts on this, Michael. I'm going through the book myself at the moment on my own blog.
Post a Comment