I have now read David Marr's book The Henson Case. As always, Marr shows his gift for lucid narrative and readable prose - the gift which makes him one of Australia's best journalists. Having read quite a lot of his work, I am familiar with his techniques of scene-setting and so on now - it is amusing to see them coming! But they work.
A couple of things are interesting: one is that the Henson case was by and large not driven by religious groups but by an almost entirely secular form of outrage. Marr tries to say that is the 'old Christian fear of nakedness', and he mentions the police commissioner's faith at key points. But he fails to mention that other protagonists in the story - who take as far as Marr is concerned more positive roles in it - have religious convictions too. Malcolm Turnbull comes rather well.
But it is true that the moral panic about the depiction of children in art has not come from the traditional sort of moral crusader - your Rev Fred Nile, or a bishop or two. It comes from somewhere else. I am still trying to grasp where.
The book is rather light on analysis and strong on narrative. We never find what Marr himself really thinks about the art works themselves... though he does admit that many of Henson's own fans find these images disturbing and ambiguous. But one moment of insight that Marr comes to is this:
One wet afternoon in Canberra a senior policeman put into words something I'd never quite grasped: that Australians are not satisfied with just expressing disapproval. We want action. The law, he said, sorts art, film and books into three categories: those free to be published; those that need to be classified; and those that must be prosecuted. But Australians tend to jumble the categories. When we disapprove of something we want governments to leap into action. Many who deeply disliked the Henson picture weren't content to express their disapproval and leave it at that. They want something done about them. What made the Henson case rare in the history of these rows was that familiar demands for action so swiftly collapsed. The politicians were brought to order by their own officials...Australia seems caught in these confusions: of personal taste with public danger; of passionate difference and pleas f0r punishment; of decent concern and bullying restrictions. p. 135
I think at this point I concur. It comes from a sense of moral dispowerment - that there is no way to speak effectively into the public sphere about this deep sense of unease that many of us felt at Henson's art (and having glimpsed some of the photos in Marr's book my sense of unease is confirmed). Partly, secular liberalism is itself to blame for this disempowerment, because it challenges many of these expressions of moral sentiment as illegitimate for public discussion; and because it has promoted instead a 'what works for you' ethic which satisfies no-one, actually. The resort to law, or at least to tabloid media, is a mark of our immaturity as a culture: that we can't actually decide together that (say) Henson's art does not contribute positively to our society and is deeply insensitive to the context in which we live, and just ignore him.
8 comments:
There is some interesting further analysis here:
It's been strange to watch the normally liberal Crikey come out against Henson.
I have edited Paul's comment below somewhat.
I think of it as a frustrating polarising effect - everyone is "for" or "against" because of the hysteria. And Marr, if he claims to address that, is going about it in a perverse way, because he stirred up a hornets nest in his defence of tolerance and freedom of opinion.
What I wanted to say about those pictures was that they did nothing for me - I didn't think they were particularly great, though from what I could see the flesh tones were rather beautiful, but I felt a sadness I felt hard to articulate that the extreme moral outrage the event provoked meant that all images of, say, girls under 18 are apparently now to be regarded as exploitative and inappropriate.
During the furore we were walking in the Botanical Gardens and saw some girls between about 9 and 12 take off their shirts and roll down a grassy slope. Should we have averted our eyes from this scene of exhuberant childish joy? I hoped that such innocence was still possible in a society where everything is so sexualised. The furore - more than the images, to me - seemed to confirm the sexualisation of children as much as condemn it.
The cheap option of a good old censorship debate (both stridently put views for and against) deafens us to subtlety. It gags and cheapens us all, IMHO.
(ie, the comment above is Paul's, not Michael Jensen's)
Thanks for that Michael, apologies - what was I thinking?
It's interesting that so many non-Christians, including some who are very socially liberal in most other ways, have come out against Henson's photos. Christians have logical reasons (arising from our beliefs) for arguing the inappropriateness of these images. But non-Christians who intuitively know there is something wrong here even though they have no reasonable humanist argument against it, show the truth of Romans 1, that we really are created in God's image and deep down we know what is wrong and right.
Here is a more sophisticated than usual attempt at humanist philosophical justification for saying Henson's photos shouldn't be published:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24472323-16947,00.html
The Sydney Morning Herald is still trying to work it out.
"As for the internet revolution, far from merely being a paradise for deviance, it may have created a more accurate mirror of who we collectively are as a society, in conflict with the laws and conventions we have constructed. This information revolution has made it harder to protect the innocence of childhood, and navigate the awkward and furtive evolution from asexual youth to sexual adolescence, the passage from innocence to desire." (We live in a sexual twilight zone, October 13, SMH)
Hi Michael, I appreciate the fact that you've written about this topic. I've been surprised at how few Christian bloggers in Australia have been prepared to express a view while many non-Christians have been prepared to speak out. I've written 5 posts on the CASE website about the matter as it has unfolded. In response to Paul let me say that while he might be able to see children naked rolling down and hill and not have any inappropriate thoughts this isn't what the debate is about. It's not about children being able to be naked in public, it's about the way in which Henson has used photographs of naked pubescent children for his artistic purposes. He has asked children to pose naked (at times in quite unnatural poses for 12 year-olds), and used artistic devices (well I might add, he's a good artist) to present images that speak of the transition from childhood to adulthood, and the emerging sexuality of children (he says this himself). In doing this he is using children as sexual objects for his own purposes. There are many issues here that I have written about - how power is exercised, children not being able to give consent, parental responsibility, whether the way the images were published makes a difference etc. There are also many philosophical and epistemological issues that are worth considering, but enough from me. Thanks Michael for being able to address the topic, the church has been far too silent on this matter.
Post a Comment