Thursday, October 30, 2008

Torrance on Ascension

TF Torrance makes a great point about the ascension as really being an intermission between the first and second coming. The two parousias are really the same parousia in two phases... Here's what he says:

The ascension of Christ thus introduces, as it were, an eschatological pause in the heart of the parousia which makes it possible for us to speak of a first advent and a second or final advent of Christ. By withdrawing his bodily presence from contact and sight, that is from historical contact and observation, the ascended Christ holds apart his first advent from his final advent, distinguishing the first advent as his advent in great humility and abasement, and pointing ahead to his final advent in great glory and power, when the eschatological pause will be brought to an end, and we shall see him as we are seen by him... Space, Time and Resurrection, p. 145


 

3 comments:

Mikey Lynch said...

hmmm. thanks for all these quotes you're posting, Michael.

There's some good thoughts here, huh?

Anonymous said...

Great quote from T.F Torrance. I came across it when I was writing my first MTC doctrine essay on the ascension. Where was your blog back then? Would've cut down on my reading time...

Anyhow, I'd be interested in doing further study on the emphasis on the incarnation and ascension in Torrance, but not sure it would fit in the MTC Master's curricula (unless you're keen to write a new master's subject on it ;-) Or if I would bite off more than I could chew!

BTW welcome back to the land of oz - hope your family is re-adjusting to Sydney life.

Michael J. Pailthorpe said...

Thanks Michael. I haven't got around to reading S,T&R to my shame. A timely quote.