Sometimes it is nice to have a bit of Luther polemik in the morning, just to get your heart started:Furthermore we note how seldom the Evangelists and Apostles make mention of the Eucharist, a fact that has led many to wish they had said more about it. On the other hand they ceaselessly emphasize, even to the point of weariness, the ministry of the Word. It is as if the Spirit had foreseen these coming abuses and errors of the shorn ones which would turn the heart from the Word of power and truth to that futile change of bread and wine, all through life clinging to these outward appearances while rejecting the marvelous light into which we have been called.
Martin Luther, Concerning the Ministry.
ahh...
Better 'n' coffee.
[H/T to Gordon Cheng for this one. Though of course, Luther was not an anti-sacramentarian - far from it...and neither am I.]
5 comments:
Just read this after reading the preparatory document for the 2008 Catholic Synod of Bishops on the Word of God.
Actually I would say some of the questions in this document are good ones for ministers of all Christian traditions to ask
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/synod/documents/rc_synod_doc_20070427_lineamenta-xii-assembly_en.html#PREFACE
js
Wow, I would LOVE to score a gig as an observer at that Synod. Could be absolutely revolutionary...
He is wrong, though, of course. The reason the Apostles and Evangelists do not talk about the Eucharist is that that was part of the everyday life of the early church and was in no need of further emphasis.
I still like Luther's view of the sacraments, though. The part of his theology I like the best, in fact.
Hmm... bit of an argument from silence don't you think?
I would have to say that Luther's view of the sacraments is the least satisfactory and least convincing part of his theology in my view! Didn't he know what a METAPHOR is?!
Well the 2005 Synod on the Eucharist
(post synodal exhortation published in 2007 here
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_ben-xvi_exh_20070222_sacramentum-caritatis_en.html )
had some non Catholic observers invited to speak (but not vote).
So maybe there is some sort of gig where you can be a fly on the wall observer? Otherwise I guess one waits to read all about it.
js
Post a Comment