Monday, May 21, 2007

Vaughan Roberts on Daniel 7

Harlech Castle, Wales.

Vaughan Roberts (of St Ebbe's C of E the rector) preached a terrific sermon on Daniel 7 today - one that rang all sorts of bells in my thesis addled brian. He started with the martyr question: if I was in the situation of having to chose life or martyrdom, what would I do? The right answer is, of course, 'I don't know'... Why? Because martyrdom is not within our human power; and because it isn't about exercising courage.

And this was the earth-shattering point: it is about vision, aka faith. That is, the vision we get in Dan 7 - the vision of the temporary state of the empires and the sitting on the throne of the ancient of days, and the handing of authority to the Son of Man - is visible to the eyes of faith. And it is this vision - a revelation that is given, of course - of the way things truly are that makes it possible for the Christian to say 'I can be none other than what I am'. This is a vision of the providential work of God worked out in Jesus, the Son of Man.

So, what makes a martyr distinctively Christian is this vision of the rule and authority of God in Christ Jesus. Without that vision: nothing. Martyrdom (contra Aquinas) is the result of faith.

3 comments:

KJP said...

Wow, great point there! I will have to think on that one for a while!!!!

Thanks!

Sam Allberry said...

If anyone is interested, the sermon will be online by the end of the week at www.stebbes.org.uk

Justin said...

Yes. And that would be the message of Revelation, too.

Who is your 'thesis addled brian'?

Release Brian, I say.