Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Must reads?

So, help me out here: what are the must-read theological books that are coming out soon or have recently appeared?

I take many of my recommendations from Ben (or from people on his site) I must admit. I am looking to pick up Paul DeHart's The Trial of the Witnesses though it seem to be dealing with a meta meta discourse. Peer group pressure is a wonderful thing!

I still have much of The Beauty of the Infinite to deal with, too. Hmm.

13 comments:

Guy Davies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Guy Davies said...

The Gospel of Free Acceptance in Christ: A Assessment of the Reformation and New Perspectives on Paul by Cornelis Venema is worth a read.

Review: http://exiledpreacher.blogspot.com/2007/05/gospel-of-free-acceptance-in-christ-by.html

Sam Charles Norton said...

That's what you might call an open-ended question. I'm reading William Cavanaugh's 'Torture and Eucharist' at the moment, that should probably be on the list if you haven't read it already. But where to begin answering???!

michael jensen said...

Yes, it IS a must read....and I have!

Anonymous said...

I'm reading Alan Lewis' 'Between Cross and Resurrection: A theology of Holy Saturday'

js

Anonymous said...

Michael. What do you mean by 'recently'? I try to think in centuries ... in which case, I'd recommend (surprise, surprise!) Forsyth's The Justification of God or his The Cruciality of the Cross.

That said, my supervisor Trevor Hart has the 1st of a 3 volume work coming out soon which I'm really looking forward to reading. It's called A Poetics of Redemption Volume 1: Creation, Creatureliness and Artistry (Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2007).

One recent book that I'm currently enjoying is Edward P. Meador's Idolatry and the Hardening of the Heart: A Study in Biblical Theology (Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 2006).

michael jensen said...

Well you are right Jason in that the making of new books into classics is a silly thing in light of the Christian tradition...

Thanks for the recommendations though!

Patrik said...

Well, there is always this list that I created based on theoblogger's votes: The 15 Most Important Theological Works of the Last 25 Years

Catherine said...

hello, this is a test.

Family Blogs said...

I'm currently reading Christopher J. Wright's 'The Mission of God', published by IVP in 2006. Although still in the early chapters I'm finding it hugely engaging and challenging about not only the biblical basis for mission, but the missional basis of the Bible.

His comments on postmodernism as he searches for a missional hermeneutic are refreshingly sane and balanced.

My wife and I are leaving ministry at home to go to the mission field next year, and so it's probably even more attractive to us at present!

Ben Myers said...

G'day Michael -- I've just posted a response to this over at F&T.

Best wishes from the land of the Maroons....

michael jensen said...

Thanks Ben! Yes - I heard the rugby league ended in a disappointing result

J. B. Hood said...

I'm not frequently on your blog, Michael, and I don't know what your cup of tea is (presumably it's Australian, which is right nice). I'd like to plug Chris Wright's Mission of God, though. An easy (if large) read.